cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating searchable PDF scanned files.

romil01
Enthusiast

I have a MFP imageCLASS MF267dw that stopped producing searchable PDF scanned files.  There is no precipitating event, such as a system software update.  I have been on the phone with Canon support three times for over 6 hours total and they still have no explanation why and no fix.  Supposedly it has gone to the "engineers" and Canon Support are awaiting a response.  There is no toggle or check box to make the PDF scan searchable on the MF Scan Utility for a Apple computers.  It is there for the PC.  Why?  They have no explanation.  Trust me . . . I have done every work around including (several) clean uninstalls/reinstalls of the latest version of the utility software and print driver, installed a firmware update, tried 3 different Apple computers, used TimeMachine to open earlier versions of the MF Scan Utility, even an earlier clone of my MacBook Pro.  Unfortunately any scan under any condition from the imageClass yields a non-searchable PDF file.  I attempted 5 third-party applications, including Adobe Acrobat who created the PDF format, and none were able to search the files.  I downloaded the Canon mobile print/scan app for this imageClass - same results.  I'm essentially hearing they don't know why the scanner stopped producing searching file, how to fix it and they advised me to buy a third-party scanning utilitiy.  Adobe Acrobat offers one for $15 a month.  I shouldn't have to - it's an advertised feature of this printer and described in the user manual.  I finally asked them to replace the printer - they refused. I need this feature for my business and I'm loosing business while they're figuring it out.  If anyone has a clue as to what's going on or how to fix it, I'd be thrilled.   

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is not very clear.  Any .PDF file which contains text is searchable.  This is true even if the text is a picture.  What makes a .PDF searchable.  OCR software.  I do not know which Canon software or utility might include this software, but this is what you need for OCR functionality.

The manual seems to imply its included as part of the scan software.  I don't know this for sure.  It's also possible that the OCR software is only included on the CD that comes with the device.  Possible means might.  Sometimes this is due to licensing restrictions, but it might explain why none of the installers on the support portal contain the OCR utility.  It also might be bundled with one of the installers under the software tab.  If it were, I'd expect Canon would be able to tell you where to look, or if it was baked into the Scanning Utility.    

Hope you find an answer to your issue.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

romil01
Enthusiast

Thank you Rick for your prompt and thoughtful response.  I was told the OCR software that converts the scan to searchable text is part of the Canon MFScan Utility (Version 1.10.9).  It's described as a feature of this printer and in it's user manual.  I bought this MFP for the OCR feature I need in my genealogy business to combine multiple page documents that must be searchable.   I used the imageClass for 6 months making searchable PDF files.  I never saw an option, toggle or preference to change the function.  Canon support cannot find it on the macOS version of the MFScan Utility and can't explain why.  Canon support proposed it is set by default.  One week after a successful scan to 16 page searchable PDF document, it stopped making documents searchable.  I have spent 6+ hours on phone support with Canon as agents walked through every possible scenario with the utility software and the printer control panel.  Every PDF document in my files is searchable except the recent ones from this scanner.  Something broke or program code got compromised.  I'm at a loss, and so it seems with Canon, to explain it so any insight you offer is appreciated.  I will look at the CD that came with the printer for evidence of an OCR application to install.  If it's there, why wouldn't Canon know that?  Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.  I will call Canon in another week to see if the engineers have responded or figured it out.  Maybe you could beat them to the punch!  Regards, Rod

Hey Rick . . . I got an email from Canon saying I got a response from my posting.  All three of the links in the mail failed - 403 Error.  I sent a response disappointed a major tech company could not send an email with links that worked.  I then got a "do not reply to this email" response with a link to give feedback or seek support (http://www.forums.usa.canon.com)  It failed.  HUH?  I think I'm burning out on Canon!

I wanted you to know I found the CD for my MF260 Series software.  There was no OCR application to install.  It's a package that I tried to customize to see if I could find it.  Doesn't allow that so I installed it fresh.  I now have two versions of the software 1.10.8 (latest) and 1.7.0 (original from the CD).  Neither of them create a searchable PDF document from scan.  I tried scanning from the printer panel without using the software - for an hour using all three destination options (Computer, Email, File) NONE of them resulted in a scan that went anywhere, even though my laptop was identified to select and I entered the correct email three times.  I even opened and manual and walked through all the steps exactly as instructed.  As I said , I've about had it with Canon.  Crazy-making!  Rod

OK, maneuvered and was able to complete a scan that transferred to my computer . . . using just the keypad of the printer, not the MF Scan Utility . . . still not searchable!  Tomorrow's my two week window to call Canon support back to see if they have any news . . . I doubt it!

Last thought . . . I downloaded the free version of VueScan to test if a third-party application would yield a searchable PDF scan.  It did . . . so it's definitely the Canon software issue.  If you have any insight or thoughts about what to try next, I'm all ears!  Thanks Rick!

For those who replied to my question, be advised this issue was supposedly chased all the way to Japan to the creator of the MF Scan Utility for the ImageClass laser printers.  The OCR feature allowing for searchable pdf files is NOT programmed for the Apple version of the utility software.  Why?  No explanation . . . the only solution is to purchase a 3rd party application with the OCR feature.  Earlier an agent said to down load the Canon PRINT Business app utility because it had the OCR feature . . . it does not.  So, it's buy a 3rd party app - VueScan for $120 is a good option.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements