cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color ImageCLASS MF644Cdw Suddently Stopped Connecting, Won't Print

keherzog
Apprentice

Hoping to find a fix.  The printer worked fine until it ran out of color toners.  My company shipped me some, but the computer still won't print after replacement.  I have gone through several troubleshooting guides with no fix.  When I try to print, documents get stuck in the queue with a "error: printing" message. I am getting the message that the printer has been correctly configured but that it isn't responding and cannot be contacted over the wireless network.  Separately, both the printer and laptop are correctly connected to the wifi. I deleted and redownloaded the driver (but may have made errors here, as the laptop couldn't find the printer over wireless LAN).  I turned off/unplugged my wifi and printer and restarted my laptop several times.  I removed the printer from my computer and re-added it (through IP address, because it isn't identifiable over network).  I emptied the printing spool.  Nothing has changed and I've struggled finding the appropriate place to get Canon support.  Help!

3 REPLIES 3

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Keherzog,

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance. For a more immediate resolution to the issue, you can also contact our support team at 1-800-652-2666.

1. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?
  2. What security software are you using on the computer?
  3. Do any errors appear on the printer's display screen?

astreckfuss
Contributor

The Canon software and drivers for the ImageClass MF644Cdw, cannot differentiate when you are using USB or Wi-fi.  Even when you select one or the other during installation of the software/drivers, the software will drop BOTH USB and Wi-fi drivers on your Windows machine. When the printer has Wi-fi turned on and the Windows machine is connect to the printer via USB, then Windows cannot figure out which to use and then you will get Driver Contention which causes the Communication error/Connection issue. Simply put, you cannot have both Wi-fi turned on in the printer AND have the printer installed on a workstation via USB.  Remote computers on your network will print / scan fine but the USB attached computer is going to have all of the issues. Here is what I discovered - that has fixed the issue for me.

1. COMPLETELY DELETE all of the Canon software. Everything. Then reboot the Windows machine.
  2. Unplug the USB cable, you will not be using it again.
  3. Make sure you have the latest .NET Framework installed.
  4. Install the Canon Software and Drivers.  When prompted, DO NOT select USB installation.
  5. Install the Toner Status software.
  6. Finally, install the Canon MF Scan Utility - last.
  7. Reboot.

Hello,

The printer can use a USB connection and a wifi connection at the same time. In this situation, I would suggest contacting our support team at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist and can check what might be causing the USB/network connection issue.

Announcements