cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Maxify MB5320 gives error code:9,244,3 when trying to scan from panel

Dikirok
Contributor

I was running Windows 8.1 and had a Canon MX850. Everything was running fine.

I upgraded to Windows 10 and the MX850 would print ok but would not find the PC when clicking the scan button on the printer. Since the printer is 7 years old I decided to buy a new printer and opted for the above device (MB5320).

The instructions to make scanning work are atrocious. I had to work it out on my own. I managed to scan from the PC somehow although I'm not sure I could do it again.

When I try to scan from the panel on the printer I get the above error:

You do not have the required privileges to access the specified folder.

Code:9,244,3.

I do not know what folder the printer is trying to write to so I gave my login full control of the entire C: drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

22 REPLIES 22

MG5422

Worked perfectly until Win10 update.

I tried all of the above, but it would not work until I went specifically to the "My Image Garden" folder and granted total access to "Everyone," which I added to the user group. 

Finally! Someone with a solution to this PROBLEM! 

"Go in to your install locations for example... local disk */program files/canon/IJ Scan Utility.   Find the SCANUTILITY.exe file and right click on ity and go to properties - compatibility - change seetings for all users - tick the box for run this programn as an administrator."

1. Why didn't Canon know this?

2. Why should you have to be an Administrator to SCAN from the multi-function device?

Canon!  Can you address this?

No. This did not help at all. Same error message after drivers installed and computer reset.

merrymary247
Rising Star
Can you initiate the scan from the IJ Scan Utility on your computer? You may have security software blocking incoming files when you initiate it from the operation panel.

Mary,
I was able to find how I scanned from the computer and it was using the IJ Scan Utility. I still cannot scan from the panel on the printer but will investigate security issues and try again.

Ironically, I think I could do this with my MX850 also with W10 so I didn't need to buy the new printer anyway. Quite annoying since it was working well otherwise.

Thank you for your response.

michew
Apprentice
I think this is a common problem with Win 10 upgrades. I've seen it with another app as well as being unable to network scan from my MX 452.
I expect that it was because I was running the scan utility during the upgrade and so with whatever file that was open, my privileges weren't transferred to Win 10. With the other app I was able to fix it by changing my privilege, but I've given myself full control on the Canon folders and still can't scan.
I can print across the network and if I log on as my wife or create a new account I can scan without problem.
Maybe a clever Canon person can tell us what files need the appropriate user privileges rather than using the sledgehammer fixes posted.

Dikirok
Contributor

SOLUTION

This is a scanning directory rights issue. The default directory that the scanner tries to save scanned documents to is Documents. For some reason the owner of the Documents folder when you upgrade to Windows 10 doesn't always transfer to your login properly.

Here is how I solved my issue -
1. On the Documents root folder, right click, select properties, select security tab.
2. Click Advanced
3. The window that pops up should show the current owner. It will probably look correct. Click "Change." The "Select User or Group" pop up box appears.
4. In the text box, type in your current user name (you should be an admin), and hit the "Check Names" button. Your name will be replaced with the "official" system name (i.e.,preceded by computer name and back slash).
5. Click OK
6. The box disappears, sending you back to the Advanced Security Settings window.
7. A new tick box appears below owner, with the text "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" Select this tick box.
8. I also selected the tick box "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object", but I think I had to run this twice - once with this box ticked and once without.
9. Hit apply.

I would also advise going into the Canon IJ Scan Utility and click Settings. Go to the second tab (looks like a hard drive with an arrow coming out of it). Now change the 'Save in' location for each of the 4 options. I created a 'Scanned Documents' folder under Documents so they all don't just drop into the root of Documents. I changed the Photo scans into the Pictures directory.

Let me know how you get on.

This did it! Thanks so much - where MS and Canon failed, you delivered.

Fantastic! Glad to help.
Announcements