cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF4890dw not printing or copying

camino
Apprentice

Hello,  I have a Canon imageclass MF4890dw multifunction machine. We are using Macs, OS Monterey (v. 12.5.1) and Catalina (10.15.7).  Recently, the printer cannot print or copy at all, although scanning still works.  When one tries to print (whether from wireless or USB), the printer wakes up and seems about to print, then it shows the following screen (looks like a progress bar) and then goes back to the copy menu as if it had successfully printed. When I check the print jobs, there are no stalled print jobs showing.

I went to the Canon site and installed the latest firmware I could find (from 2021) and also installed the proper MF Utilities and Toolbox. I deleted the old printer driver and added the new. I tried this on two different computers. But alas, the error persists and there is no printing.  Needless to say, we have a good toner cartridge and enough paper.

The only other odd thing is that the printer has a tendency to lose the correct time and WIFI password if it's turned off for long; we have left it on to charge for over 24 hours but that does not cure the printing issue.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20221110_154841465.jpg

1 REPLY 1

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Camino,

The issue looks like it could be caused by a problem with the hardware or a communication issue. I would suggest opening printers and scanners on the Mac and removing any connections for the Canon printer using the - at the bottom of the printer list. Once the printer has been removed. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable if try to use via USB or unplugging the router for 5 seconds if using via wifi. Once the cable has been reconnected or the network comes back up, you can click the + at the bottom of the printer list to try adding the printer back to the printer list.

Once the printer has been added to the list, you can try printing again. If the issue continues, you can try unplugging the printer from the power and then pressing the power button 10 times while the printer is unplugged. After that, you can plug the printer into a different power source and you can try turning it on. If the problem continues, it would mean there is something wrong with the hardware and the printer needs service. You can log into your MyCanon account to check for any available service options.

Announcements