cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ImageCLASS MF644CDW Load Paper Issue

EsteBeatDown
Apprentice

Good evening everyone. I hope everyone's weekend started out well.

I am having an issue with the printer model listed in the subject. It's an issue with paper detection, I think. So recently, the printer stopped detecting when paper is in the tray. Namely, it will not detect a "fresh" load. For instance, if I undock Tray 1 and load paper into it, and then insert it back into the printer, the printer will not detect the paper in the tray (or it may not be detecting the tray itself, I'm unsure). It will constantly give me the "load paper" error.The only way to fix this issue is to power cycle the printer by directly unplugging it from the wall outlet for a minute or so and then plugging it back in (keep in mind, just powering it off with the power button will not work, it must be unplugged from the outlet while still on). I have tried everything else (all cleaning maintenance, paper settings, factory reset, windows updates and printer firmware updates, different types of paper, etc.) and nothing but power cycling will get the machine to detect the paper (or tray) again. It really is a pain and I am hoping I can get some help here. Thank you so much in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

deckNY
Apprentice

The problem has to do with the printer driver software overwriting the OS software (Mac or Windows). Go to the "Paper Settings" menu on the printer touchscreen. If you are using 20 lb bond paper for plain paper(like most office staff use), first change the paper type from "Plain 2" to "Plain 1", which is 17 lb bond paper (I know this sounded strange to me too!). Then go to the "Menu" on the main touchscreen, to "Function Settings", to "Printer" then "Printer Settings" then  to "Prioritize Driver Settings When Printing", then turn OFF Multi-Purpose Tray and turn ON Drawer 1. Return to Home screen and all will be well with the world again (LOL). Hope this helps anyone who was a frustrated by the whole issue as we were. Cheers!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Same here.  It works on mine with paper set to paper #2 (21lb)

Thank you! It worked for me!

Thank you.  This absolutely resolved my issue.  Much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to post this simple fix to a painfully obscure issue.

FarmerJohn
Apprentice

I have a mf634cdw, after trying everything given above, I pulled out the multi-function tray on top of the draw, and discovered a small piece of paper was in there. When I removed that paper and pushed both trays back in the "load paper" error on the computer went away.  Also, on the UI the "tray empty" message also went away. 

Announcements