cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black vertical line on scans

MrsPhilli
Apprentice

I have an ImageClass mf4370dn and it suddenly has a black vertical line that is printing when I scan a document. It does not show up when I copy it. How do I repair the equipment? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bingo! Abosolutly right. Glass LOOKED clean but it wasn't. As I slowly passed my finger on the glass I could feel  something. I took a credit card edge and removed what ever it was. Wiped with a clean soft cloth and problem solved. No more lines. To be clear, this was on the small strip of glass in front of the big glass bed. Thank you.

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

I have this same problem.  I've cleaned the glass and I'm still getting the same result.  Help!

Hi,

I don't work for Cannon, but I was having same issues with my MF4770n printer, and I believe I have seen this issue at my workplace as well where they have a Cannon production copier that was scanning a line even after cleaning the scanning area and the left side of the plastic.

Make sure that you install a patch from the list of drivers that fixes this issue. If you still have the issue, make sure that you have the latest firmware.

I hope this helps!

I have a MB2320. I just started getting a black line when using the ADF. I've tried all of the suggestions to no avail. Help!!

I had the same problem and tried all cleaning methods they suggested and it didn't work but I found one that did. I just got new eyeglasses and got a cleaning cloth with them I cleaned the glass for the ADF with this dry and that did it, use a flashlight on an angle to finally see the small dot that causes the problem. Hope this helps

I followed your instructions. Still getting line. There is a tiny little black spec on the top white portion that sits on the glass when closed. Could that be it. I tried glass cleaner. It would not come out. 

Sometimes cleaner will not get everything.  I had to use a plastice credit card and lightly scape the surface to get it completely clean

Bingo! Abosolutly right. Glass LOOKED clean but it wasn't. As I slowly passed my finger on the glass I could feel  something. I took a credit card edge and removed what ever it was. Wiped with a clean soft cloth and problem solved. No more lines. To be clear, this was on the small strip of glass in front of the big glass bed. Thank you.

Pixma MX922. YEA, THANKS for the credit card trick on the small glass section. It worked!! I too had a solid line using the autodocument feeder, but not when making a single copy on the large glass sheet. Had tried cleaning with a computer cloth, an eye glass cloth, a paper towel and each time, the black line was still there. As a last resort, I slid a credit card over the glass. I have no idea what the credit card removed, but the line was finally gone. YEA again! Whatever was on the small glass section, my eye was unable to see.

I am having the same issue with scanning or copying on the ADF.  A black line appears on every scan through the ADF only.  I've tried all the hints on cleaning and am disappointed as my printer is barely a year old.  My printer is a Maxify MB5420.  What else is there to try to fix?

Thank you.-

Hi J, check out my post number 36. The line causing the problem is extremly hard to see.but it is there. The credit card trick works well and then another good cleaning. Good luck. MP

Announcements