cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raw pictures with canon sx50hs

debbiehouska
Apprentice

In the past when I took pictures in raw & uploaded them o the computer I couldn't see the picture unless I opened them in the software for my camera. Today when I pu them on my computer  I could see them in the gallery. I don't know what has changed. I have gotten use to the way it was & it made it easy to tell what pictures I shot in raw. Any ideas on what might have happened.

6 REPLIES 6

Gus
Apprentice

Happened to me recently...  I finally realized I had shot RAW/Jpeg and what I was actually seeing was the Jpeg.

Stephen

Hi debbiehouska!
So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know  the Computer Operating System you're using (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x), and the software you use to download and edit/view your images. Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue! Thanks and have a great day!

I agree with Stephen.  If you could provide all the details regarding the computer you're using to view/edit your photos, as well what software you have installed would help a lot in offering advice and suggestions.

I am using windows 8 with firefox. I put my memory card in & just use the photo software that came on computer to transfer them. I edit my raw with the software that cam with my camera. I have it set just for shooting in Raw, not also with jpeg. I think I fixed it. I did a system restore & its the way it was. I just shoot certain pictures in raw only & I like / have gotten use to not being able to see them until I open them with the camera software. Helped me keep them straight on what was what. Thanks.

Based on what you wrote and that you consider that you've fixed your issue, I'd offer a suggestion that you can take or leave.  Download a freeware program called Fastone Image Viewer, which will allow you to quickly and easily view all your images once you download them to your computer.  CR2/RAW files are included in the types this program can view, including features such as thumbnail viewing, side-by-side image comparison, slideshow review, etc.  That way you won't have to be dependent on the software that came preinstalled on your computer.  FWIW.

Jon
Contributor

Windows Updates has just pushed out new codecs (COderDECoders) that let Windows Explorer and other Microsoft applications view images from more cameras; they now recognize my EOS M and 5DIII images, and probably also your SX50. Yet another reason (aside from keeping your computer relatively secure) to pay attention to Windows Updates. I say this, not as a Microsoft employee (I am not now, and never was), but as a retired computer security professional.

Jon
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements