cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to sort out the forum ?

Ray-uk
Whiz

Most sections of the forum seems to have more and more messages relating to video or live streaming making it difficult to find threads that only relate to still photography, for instance at the moment the first 7 threads in the software section are all about live streaming and webcam use. In other sections people sometimes ask questions and it isn't clear whether they are discussing still or video.

Isn't it about time we had a seperate category for video and live streaming.

As you can guess, I don't do video and I am finding that I am losing interest in using the forum lately because of the jumble it seems to have got into. Surely I am not the only one.

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I have been asking for this for *years*. Everytime I got the "We want your opinion" window I would ask "Please, Please, Please add a DSLR video section."

@kvbarkley wrote:

I have been asking for this for *years*. Everytime I got the "We want your opinion" window I would ask "Please, Please, Please add a DSLR video section."

I think it is a good idea, too.  How would name it that would be "consistent" with current names?  "EOS Video"?

What would be the scope of such a forum?  What about Powershot users?  PowerShots are not EOS exactly cameras.  

What about Cinema EOS users, which already has its' forum?  What sort of new name would stop those users from stopping in the new forum?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think it is a good idea, too.  How would name it that would be "consistent" with current names?  "EOS Video"?

-They already have "EOS" and "EOS Rebel", so I would have:

"EOS DSLR", "EOS Mirrorless", "EOS Rebel" ane "EOS Video"

What would be the scope of such a forum?  What about Powershot users?  PowerShots are not EOS exactly cameras.  

-Powershots have their own forum, It hasn't been an issue. Besides, moving posts is why we have moderators. 

What about Cinema EOS users, which already has its' forum?  What sort of new name would stop those users from stopping in the new forum

-Nothing, posts can be moved, but many of the issues are the same anyway.

@kvbarkley wrote:

-They already have "EOS" and "EOS Rebel", so I would have:

"EOS DSLR", "EOS Mirrorless", "EOS Rebel" ane "EOS Video"

-Powershots have their own forum, It hasn't been an issue. Besides, moving posts is why we have moderators. 

What about Cinema EOS users, which already has its' forum?  What sort of new name would stop those users from stopping in the new forum

-Nothing, posts can be moved, but many of the issues are the same anyway.

Half of the questions regarding Cinema EOS questions are about features that do not really apply to DSLRs.  Other half are mostly troubleshooting questions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I agree Ray.  But with consumer/audience emphasis on video the products are becoming more video biased and the Canon forum is simply reflecting it.

A lot of camera buyers never take them out of full auto mode and at some point we will reach the point where a lot of owners will never take their camera out of video mode.

I bought a XF-400 camcorder because I need to sometimes shoot video and I don't like using a DSLR for that even though my current DSLR bodies are video capable.  If Canon had introduced the 1DX III with zero video capability I would have still purchased it and that omission wouldn't have bothered me at all.  I understand a lot of people are far more interested in video than me but my primary interest is better still photography.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"As you can guess, I don't do video and I am finding that I am losing interest in using the forum lately because of the jumble it seems to have got into. Surely I am not the only one."

You are not. Me too!  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

For what it's worth I agree.

I fully accept that videography is a part of the Canon market offering, but it would help to have a clear delineation between video and still photography tech, questions and issues.  Many of us are neither engaged, nor expert in the video side of things and it would assist both posters and responders to have a clear separation.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

John_SD
Whiz

@Ray-uk wrote:

Isn't it about time we had a seperate category for video and live streaming.

As you can guess, I don't do video and I am finding that I am losing interest in using the forum lately because of the jumble it seems to have got into. Surely I am not the only one.

I completely agree. Honestly, the forum is not well managed and is poorly designed. Canon's main competitor does a much better job forumwise. 

Like others I am interested in photography, and have grown weary of the video clowns and wannabe "influencers" who mostly seem interested in arguing and whining about perceived video shortcomings of their midrange DSLRs. They seem easily confounded by cameras that they clearly spent little or no time researching before making the purchase. They they cry about its limitations. These people need to have their own video section of the forum as they don't have any real interest in photography anyway. At least there they can whine about matters like frame rate, overheating, upscaling, etc., as they attempt to hone their YouTube skills with their DSLRs. 

I likewise agree. I won't try to add to the compelling arguments that others have already made. But the fact that so many have spoken should make the argument hard to ignore.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements