cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed by Non-Canon Support

sttillman22
Apprentice

While a support person was trying to fix my printer,he needed to get on my computer remotely. He told me I would need to pay $199.00 because my computer was really not updated. As he was remotely on my computer, and he told me I could walk away while he worked, I watched him go into my Amazon account, buy gift cards, go into my email, delete the Amazon confirmation and then try to go into my banking. I was locked out of my computer and his phone # was restricted. I could not stop him. He also later in the day tried to change my passwords for Amazon and my email as I received texts. When hge called me I asked why he bought a card and he said it was for licensing purposes. (I know, I was so surprised I didn't put 2 and 2 together right away). I now have a fight on my hands but I do have all his information when I call Canon this AM. BEWARE, do not use Canon ever!!!!!!

38 REPLIES 38

Trevor, thanks for your very respectful reply.  I unfortunately did not keep any screen shots of what I typed or where I was led to when it first happened or when I replicated it a few weeks later.  I was not thinking about proving how it happened.  I only kept a copy of the chat with the fake support person because there was a phone number provided in there to call these people.   If/when I have time I will try and replicate again and record it somehow in order to help others avoid this scam.  But it does strike me as odd that Canon and many on this forum think that all of the people who have fallen victim to this scam are typing the url incorrectly...  

I understand it's frustrating: actually, for all parties concerned! On the one hand you are having the experience you describe, and on the other, support staff can't replicate it. It's almost impossible to reconcile without more data.

Rest assured that there is no evil intent on Canon's side to blame you out of hand or hide a vulnerability. It's rather like the fog of war...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Several of us have now tried to replicate your issue and cannot.  You claim you have proof, but when asked for it, you don't provide it.  All sounds fishy to me.  Perhaps you're just here to stir up trouble with a non-existent issue for whatever reason.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ricky, this is the second time you have misquoted me......  I never said I have proof.  I did not make a video while I was going through this issue nor did I do so when I went back a few weeks later.  My goal was simply to see if it would happen again but I was not intending to use it as proof for anyone.  I only kept a screen shot of the conversation I had with the fake customer service person the day I was scammed.  Would you like to see it?  I'm not sure why you are so hostile and disrespectful but I don't think that interacting with people with an opposing view to you, in this type of public forum, is your calling.....

If the screen shot has the URL then post it. Ricky made a very valid point that someone isn’t following good “Internet hygiene “ by deleting browser history it is very easy for autocomplete to consistently paste a mis-typed URL without it being noticed. 
I use a program that erases browser history every time I exit the browser. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Sorry that you got in this fix. If my computer needed updated, I would take to a computer expert and not an oline unknown. I get mine tuned up at Staples and purchase a contract for virus detection/elimination as needed, a checkup anytime plus I get McAfee installed at the same time. I get giant popups and emails saying my McAfee has expired and renew to keep from having my computer shut down. The receipt says I have 8 months to go!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

TE5LA
Contributor

Sounds to me like you were not in contact with a Canon representative. If you saw this taking place, why not just stop him? All you'd have to do is disconnect from the Internet. This whole story sounds suspicious. 

Jennii
Apprentice

I got exactly same was told it was going to cost me 99 dollars au.   The thing is I worked it out as a scam as I was reading my phone while they were trying to access remotely on my laptop to sort it out they say but as soon as I put up on the screen for them to read don't scam people they disconnected it

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The entire point is not to interact with these people in the first place.  Over the phone, on your computer, etc.

If you have provided access to your PC, it needs to be checked by a qualified IT person to ensure it has not been compromised.

If any financial information including credit card was provided, you should contact your financial institution, report the fraud and request a replacement card.  

No one wants to admit they've been scammed. If it happens, you need to accept responsibility, and take steps to protect your personal and financial information.  

Anyone who has fallen victim to scam.  Whether you have been deceived, fooled or tricked, it is your responsibility to know who you are communicating with.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements