cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed by Non-Canon Support

sttillman22
Apprentice

While a support person was trying to fix my printer,he needed to get on my computer remotely. He told me I would need to pay $199.00 because my computer was really not updated. As he was remotely on my computer, and he told me I could walk away while he worked, I watched him go into my Amazon account, buy gift cards, go into my email, delete the Amazon confirmation and then try to go into my banking. I was locked out of my computer and his phone # was restricted. I could not stop him. He also later in the day tried to change my passwords for Amazon and my email as I received texts. When hge called me I asked why he bought a card and he said it was for licensing purposes. (I know, I was so surprised I didn't put 2 and 2 together right away). I now have a fight on my hands but I do have all his information when I call Canon this AM. BEWARE, do not use Canon ever!!!!!!

38 REPLIES 38

I have something to add to this conversation that is important.  I experienced the exact same issue when setting up my Canon printer and luckily I did not sustain any loss thus far.  When I complained to Canon I received the exact same message that people on this forum are repeating.  It wasn't a Canon site, Canon had nothing to do with it, you must have input the url incorrectly, etc. etc.  Well I can tell you that I typed in the url exactly as outlined in the manual that came with the printer.  When I tried to do the set up I received an error message that the "drivers" could not be installed.  I exited the page, cleared my cookies and history and then tried again, inputting EXACTLY as per the instructions.  I recieved the same error again so I clicked on the support via chat button on the page that led me to a "customer service" person.  That person asked me a few questions and then said they would get a Canon tech person to call me.  So when someone called I believed they were canon.  I picked up on the scan when the guy asked for $99 to clear out Trojans and Malware on my computer.  First I knew Canon would not be asking for money to fix virus related stuff and second, I have virus protection and when this person asked me what I'm running for protection I told him and he said you don't need virus protection on a mac.....well if I were to believe him then I certainly do need it, don't i?  When I told him I was uncomfortable he disconnected.  I went back to the chat and told the person that they had connected me to a scammer and I would be making a complaint with Canon and the person said no need to do that, I'll take care of it myself.  Of course I knew this person on the chat was also a scammer.  So after changing all my passwords, cancelling my bank and credit cards etc. I went back to the url again and low and behold it was fine and I was able to download the Canon software for the printer without any issue.  A few weeks later, I went back again and it was once again hacked.  So what is happening is these scammers are hacking the legitimate Canon URL printed in the instruction manuals and redirecting to their site.  It isn't that people are typing the URL in wrong, these people are taking those URLs over.  In this case Canon DOES have a responsibility to protect the consumers of their product and take further action to ensure that these URLs cannot be hacked and taken over by these scammers.  

Look at the screenshots I've shared in the previous posts. On our setup site, there is no support option. Our phone support is INBOUND ONLY. Canon USA technical support is done by Canon employees. Our number is 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). If you put the URL in the address bar (not the search bar), you should get to https://ij.start.canon (no .com or anything - it's .canon). 

If you can provide a screenshot with the address bar and URL you were at, that would be helpful. 

I think you misread my post.  I did not say that it was the authentic Canon site that I was on.  I said that when I typed in the authentic Canon URL I was directed to a highjacked version of the site. And I was able to replicate this so if I can replicate it then so can Canon.  I stand by my view that Canon has an obligation to protect consumers that buy their products and ensure their URLs are protected from hackers who can hijack them.   It is the norm in our society now to blame the consumer for anything and everything that goes wrong, excusing the big companies who have the capacity to combat these scams from any responsibility.  

This makes so much sense!!! Thank you for sharing this!! I cannot believe the attitude of some of these people posting on canon’s behalf (I saw one man say a person better delete their thread), when so many people are having the exact same issue. What you are describing is EXACTLY what happened to my mom. Down to the $99 dollar price. Thank you again for sharing! I think you’ve solved it!! 

And if I can figure it out you don't think Canon can? I'm sure they know exactly what is happening but they truly don't care.  They are not alone.  Most large corporations have little interest in combating fraud that impacts the "little people" but doesn't impact their bottom line.

We're taken to the correct place when we type the correct URL into an address bar from various devices using different operating systems.

Are you sure you didn't search for the site rather than put it into the address bar? The address bar is at the TOP of your browser. The search bar is usually in the middle, under a logo. 

Again, it would be helpful if you could include screenshots of how you got to the fake site, including the top address bar. 😊

I never searched and I typed the url as per the instructions.  

You're going to have to provide screenshots or other evidence to what you're saying.  The link that Stephen provided (https://ij.start.canon) resolves to a site that Canon owns.  It's not being hijacked.  Here's a screenshot of the certificate of that site.  Note that it is indeed owned by Canon.

It could very well be that you're introducing a typo into the URL as you entered it in your address bar.  Or, because you previously ended up at a bad site, it could be that your browser is auto-completing the URL as you type it and bringing up the previously-visited bad address.  Or perhaps your system is compromised and something is interfering with your browser and leading you to bad sites.

canon_support_cert.png

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

You should try this exercise multiple different times of the day and on different dates.  I did not type the URL incorrectly.  I didn't take screen shots but I'm sure it can be recreated.  The authentic Canon site is being hijacked and for people like yourself and the moderators of this site to continue to suggest otherwise is insulting to the hundreds of people who are being scammed by these scammers!  I'm sure Canon has sufficient funds to hire people to look into this rather than to pick on someone like myself who has been a victim of fraud.  

If you are sure it can be re-created, I would suggest you do so.  That kind of documentation is what is needed.

I used to work in IT security, and I have access to some of the diagnostic software from that time. I have tested the method as expressed by Canon: i.e. typing in the URL: https://ij.start.canon and I get to the Canon official website each and every time - the software shows no malware, intrusion, or redirection. I even did it by typing in the search bar and came up with my local Canon support site in NZ.
With all the best will in the world, and absolutely without bias, I cannot replicate your situation if using the correctly formatted input.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements