cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Camera Choice T7i or T8i (or if really worth it 90D)

foreverteachabl
Contributor

Good day all, I am soon to be a Canon user. I look forward to joining what appears to be a great community. I fish a lot, metal detect (treasure hunt,) just got into mushroom hunting, and I love taking macro pictures, and nature scenes. I have the Nikon D3500 and love it but my wife wants a touch screen and gave me the OK to get a new camera for our first trip to Iceland 🙂 Her friend has the T7i so I was thninking of that or the T8i and invest in the 18-55 f2.8 for the trip along with the Rokinon 16 mm f/2 that I purchased prematurely after doing some research before joining this community. 

I would like help deciding on the better of the 2 cameras that I mentioned above. (or if really worth it, the 90D, which would cut down on lens options due to budget) I am an amateur with aspirations but mainly want to enlarge some of my own photos and frame them since friends on Facebook keep telling me to do so. In terms of functions on the body, I  found that I like to adjust ISO's and exposure manually, and have never used the premade setting on the Nikon. I may still choose to do so though on a new camera though. 

I would also like some lense suggestions as well please. I really only used my Nikon nifty fifty and the kit 70-300 lens. Both served me well but I was hoping for a little better quality for the zoom and with image stabilization since I have a slight essential tremor and not the steadiest 🙂

Thanks everyone for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"The 90D is a high megapixel crop sensor camera, and as such has among the smallest pixel pitch of any Canon camera. 

It basically boiled down to the fact that the 90D can exceed the capability of some shooters and lenses."

John is correct. When you get in to specs and ability that a camera like the 90D everything has to be on its A game. It is diffidently not a "point and shoot" camera if you are looking for the best IQ. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a wonderful lens. It is the best Canon has to offer in this category. Best fact is, it is a constant f2.8 aperture. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens is sharper, no doubt. Also a constant aperture lens at f1.8.

However, since you have already ordered the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, I and you will be happy using it. Perhaps you do give up a bit of IQ but you gain 20mm on the long end. That's worht something and will make it more versitile. 

If you still feel you want or need the sharpest photos possible I would buy the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art (prime) Lens. It just might be the sharpest lens on the planet for a DSLR like the 90D. Again, it is diffidently not a "point and shoot" camera if you are looking for the best out of it. Do your part and it will do its part. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Hello! Decisions! Decisions! Watching this thread.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I tried out our friends T7i and I'm thinking of going with it but it it harder to find a newer one now.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I am almost sure that both cameras have not been in production for many months. It is a certainty that the T7i had been out of production for at least a full year.

I point this out because available stock on these bodies dwindling rapidly. Again, it is a safe bet that no more new Rebel T7i bodies will become available at any factory authorized US distributors.

Buyer beware.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you can swing it the 90D all the way every day of the week all year long. If you can't always go for the newest tech. That makes the T8i the choice for certain.

The Rokinon 16 mm f/2 will be full manual but it is a decent lens. You didn't/don't need it even if you just get the T8i with the kit lens. Of course the 90D with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a super combo. 

It will rival even the mult-thousands of dollar rigs out there. BTW, it makes the Rokinon 16 mm f/2 even less desirable.

However, if I was you and buying today I would get the EOS 90D with the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens.

EB

Thanks a bunch EB. I always appreciate your input!

Good day EB. I ordered the 90D and cancelled the other 2 lenses but in researching the Sigma 18-35mm, people say it doesn't auto focus. Did they fix this issue and will it focus on the 90D? 

Be sure the lens has firmware 2.03. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks a bunch JH!!!

"Did they fix this issue and will it focus on the 90D?"

Yes. It seems the problem was isolated. Not all 90D owners saw it.  Perhaps it was a setting the lens didn't like.

Sigma's CS is very good, not at the level of Canon's but who is? They will respond if you should ever need it.

I don't own the 90D and Sigma lens but I did get a chance to use it for a full day of shooting. It made such an impression on me that I still remember it to this day. Keep in mind that the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens Is very good too. If you prefer to stay Canon, not a bad idea, that is the one to get.

EB
Announcements