cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Camera Choice T7i or T8i (or if really worth it 90D)

foreverteachabl
Contributor

Good day all, I am soon to be a Canon user. I look forward to joining what appears to be a great community. I fish a lot, metal detect (treasure hunt,) just got into mushroom hunting, and I love taking macro pictures, and nature scenes. I have the Nikon D3500 and love it but my wife wants a touch screen and gave me the OK to get a new camera for our first trip to Iceland 🙂 Her friend has the T7i so I was thninking of that or the T8i and invest in the 18-55 f2.8 for the trip along with the Rokinon 16 mm f/2 that I purchased prematurely after doing some research before joining this community. 

I would like help deciding on the better of the 2 cameras that I mentioned above. (or if really worth it, the 90D, which would cut down on lens options due to budget) I am an amateur with aspirations but mainly want to enlarge some of my own photos and frame them since friends on Facebook keep telling me to do so. In terms of functions on the body, I  found that I like to adjust ISO's and exposure manually, and have never used the premade setting on the Nikon. I may still choose to do so though on a new camera though. 

I would also like some lense suggestions as well please. I really only used my Nikon nifty fifty and the kit 70-300 lens. Both served me well but I was hoping for a little better quality for the zoom and with image stabilization since I have a slight essential tremor and not the steadiest 🙂

Thanks everyone for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"The 90D is a high megapixel crop sensor camera, and as such has among the smallest pixel pitch of any Canon camera. 

It basically boiled down to the fact that the 90D can exceed the capability of some shooters and lenses."

John is correct. When you get in to specs and ability that a camera like the 90D everything has to be on its A game. It is diffidently not a "point and shoot" camera if you are looking for the best IQ. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a wonderful lens. It is the best Canon has to offer in this category. Best fact is, it is a constant f2.8 aperture. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens is sharper, no doubt. Also a constant aperture lens at f1.8.

However, since you have already ordered the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, I and you will be happy using it. Perhaps you do give up a bit of IQ but you gain 20mm on the long end. That's worht something and will make it more versitile. 

If you still feel you want or need the sharpest photos possible I would buy the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art (prime) Lens. It just might be the sharpest lens on the planet for a DSLR like the 90D. Again, it is diffidently not a "point and shoot" camera if you are looking for the best out of it. Do your part and it will do its part. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42

foreverteachabl
Contributor
Good day E Biggs, I ordered the 90D but I've been over on a Facebook group for 90D users and it seems like a lot of the lenses are soft On it I also just ordered the 17 to 55 mm you mentioned but it seems a lot of people have had trouble with it should I get the Sigma lens instead. I'm really confused now going to canon I wonder if I should have just stuck with my nikon lol

@foreverteachabl wrote:
Good day E Biggs, I ordered the 90D but I've been over on a Facebook group for 90D users and it seems like a lot of the lenses are soft On it I also just ordered the 17 to 55 mm you mentioned but it seems a lot of people have had trouble with it should I get the Sigma lens instead. I'm really confused now going to canon I wonder if I should have just stuck with my nikon lol

The 90D is a high megapixel crop sensor camera, and as such has among the smallest pixel pitch of any Canon camera. 

There was a lot of chatter when the camera first came out about unsharp images. 

It basically boiled down to the fact that the 90D can exceed the capability of some shooters and lenses. Similar to what exists with the high megapixel 5Ds bodies. 

The kit lenses can be the biggest offenders. The 17-55mm lens is a top performing EF-S lens. 

I always recommend getting a Canon lens over a third party item when both are available in the specs you need. It avoids a potential compatibility problem. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"The 90D is a high megapixel crop sensor camera, and as such has among the smallest pixel pitch of any Canon camera. 

It basically boiled down to the fact that the 90D can exceed the capability of some shooters and lenses."

John is correct. When you get in to specs and ability that a camera like the 90D everything has to be on its A game. It is diffidently not a "point and shoot" camera if you are looking for the best IQ. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a wonderful lens. It is the best Canon has to offer in this category. Best fact is, it is a constant f2.8 aperture. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens is sharper, no doubt. Also a constant aperture lens at f1.8.

However, since you have already ordered the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, I and you will be happy using it. Perhaps you do give up a bit of IQ but you gain 20mm on the long end. That's worht something and will make it more versitile. 

If you still feel you want or need the sharpest photos possible I would buy the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art (prime) Lens. It just might be the sharpest lens on the planet for a DSLR like the 90D. Again, it is diffidently not a "point and shoot" camera if you are looking for the best out of it. Do your part and it will do its part. 

EB

foreverteachabl
Contributor
Thanks a bunch guys! I did get the 8Ti but upon trying it out the flash sputtered and crackled and sounded sick so have to return it. Perhaps I should have just stuck with the 90D after all.😄

Hi all, I read too many posts from people talking about lens issues and auto focusing with the 90D so got the 8Ti from Best Buy since it was scarce elsewhere. Unfortunately the lens is making crackling noises and the box it shipped in didn't have any bubble wrap and camera box was loose inside. I am going to return it and thinking of going full frame since I believe I need a sealed camera for our trip the Iceland in February and the 80D is nowhere to be found new these days. Would you recommend the Mark 6 ii? I can still return the lenses I got for the crop sensor, or should I get another 8Ti?

@foreverteachabl wrote:
Hi all, I read too many posts from people talking about lens issues and auto focusing with the 90D so got the 8Ti from Best Buy since it was scarce elsewhere. Unfortunately the lens is making crackling noises and the box it shipped in didn't have any bubble wrap and camera box was loose inside. I am going to return it and thinking of going full frame since I believe I need a sealed camera for our trip the Iceland in February and the 80D is nowhere to be found new these days. Would you recommend the Mark 6 ii? I can still return the lenses I got for the crop sensor, or should I get another 8Ti?

The 6D Mark II would be a superior camera at a higher entry price. Body and lens will both be more expensive. I believe in stretching my purchases when possible because the true cost will be less (less need to upgrade in the future when you outgrow the entry level items).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Perhaps I should have just stuck with the 90D after all."

Yes, IMHO, you should have.

"I believe I need a sealed camera for our trip the Iceland ..."

The 6D Mk II is no better weather sealed than the 90D. Almost any DSLR will handle a bit of drizzle but you use it at your own risk in any kind of weather.

No ef-s lens I know of is weather sealed. In the end, the bottom line, is use your common sense when weather is not the best. If you are miserable in the weather conditions, your camera is going to be miserable too. No DSLR likes to get wet, weather sealed or not.

EB

"The 6D Mark II would be a superior camera at a higher entry price."

I would dispute that a little. If IQ was your main most important thing, and I thought is was, the 90D and the Siggy zoom will likely beat a 6D2. When you talk IQ you need to know what lens is on which camera. The camera is part of the equation. The lens makes the picture, the camera simply stores it. Of course that a simplistic statement but generally true.

The reviewers said, even some here on this forum, said you can't do landscapes with a crop style camera. Also, you can't get undistorted photos from the ef-8-15mm f4 lens. Don't believe all the reviews you read on the ole inner web. Most at least some are biased and/or have personal agenda. I don't.

IMG_2025.JPG

Canon EOS 7D, EF 8-15mm f4L@ 15mm, f16, SS1/400, ISO160

EB

foreverteachabl
Contributor
Thanks again!

foreverteachabl
Contributor
That makes a lot of sense. I wished I had followed that advice with fly fishing gear😉
Announcements