cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Want Sharp Image (New Camera or Macro Lens)

margzxero
Contributor

I have canon 750D, I want a nice sharp/clear image of my jewelry, do I need to invest in macro or buy new camera.

Thanks

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

By 55mm do you mean the 18-55mm kit zoom lens?  

A macro lens lens would be sharper and better able to shoot from up close. 

Are you using a tripod?  A good solid tripod would help immensely by letting you stop the lens down to f/8 or f/11 for more depth of field since on a tripod you are unconcerned with handheld camera shake and long shutter exposures like full seconds are possible. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

@margzxero wrote:

I am a freelance product photographer but shooting a jewellery is very hard. I am planning to buy a Canon 5D or better invest in macro lens?

For Macro work the 5D would be a step backwards. The smaller the sensor the larger the depth of field. Going to a larger sensor just means having to use a smaller aperture to compensate for it. You gain nothing, but, a lighter wallet.

Great, in that case go for the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens instead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Either but you do need proper exposures.  You do need a post editor like Lightromm or Photoshop.  There are others but these two are the best, IMHO.  You can google 'focus stacking' and get some good hits.

Basically what you do is get different parts of the subject in focus not worrying about the rest that isn't.  The stacking software picks and chooses the sharpest parts of all the shots and 'stacks' them into one photo.

Lo and behold everything is sharp!  Smiley Happy

EB

62 REPLIES 62

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@margzxero wrote:

I have canon 750D, I want a nice sharp/clear image of my jewelry, do I need to invest in macro or buy new camera.

Thanks

Your 750D is more than capable of nice sharp/clear images of jewelry.

Depending on your current lens you might need lighting and a good tripod and not a macro lens.

My lens is 55mm, and i am shooting a white diamond jewelry for brochure and tarpaulin. the detail of diamond is not really clear.

By 55mm do you mean the 18-55mm kit zoom lens?  

A macro lens lens would be sharper and better able to shoot from up close. 

Are you using a tripod?  A good solid tripod would help immensely by letting you stop the lens down to f/8 or f/11 for more depth of field since on a tripod you are unconcerned with handheld camera shake and long shutter exposures like full seconds are possible. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Yes I am using tripod. So buying a macro lens is better than buying a new camera?

I would work on technique first.

Are you able to fill the frame with the jewelry you are trying to photograph?

If you want sharp images at short working distance you need a lot of depth of field.

Try using single point focus, f/11 and see how that works.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I would work on technique first.

Are you able to fill the frame with the jewelry you are trying to photograph?

If you want sharp images at short working distance you need a lot of depth of field.

Try using single point focus, f/11 and see how that works.

Also consider using a remote shutter release or the camera's 2 second delay.

@margzxero wrote:

Yes I am using tripod. So buying a macro lens is better than buying a new camera?

Yes, a lens is better than a camera. There is nothing that a new camera will do to help you get sharper photos.

"By 55mm do you mean the 18-55mm kit zoom lens?"

"So buying a macro lens is better than buying a new camera?"

If your answer to that first question was, yes, than a better lens will help.  Check out the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens.  You know how to do the rest.  Right?

BTW, if it is more than just a hobby or passing thing, look at the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens instead.

EB

I am a freelance product photographer but shooting a jewellery is very hard. I am planning to buy a Canon 5D or better invest in macro lens?

Announcements