cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Want Sharp Image (New Camera or Macro Lens)

margzxero
Contributor

I have canon 750D, I want a nice sharp/clear image of my jewelry, do I need to invest in macro or buy new camera.

Thanks

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

By 55mm do you mean the 18-55mm kit zoom lens?  

A macro lens lens would be sharper and better able to shoot from up close. 

Are you using a tripod?  A good solid tripod would help immensely by letting you stop the lens down to f/8 or f/11 for more depth of field since on a tripod you are unconcerned with handheld camera shake and long shutter exposures like full seconds are possible. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

@margzxero wrote:

I am a freelance product photographer but shooting a jewellery is very hard. I am planning to buy a Canon 5D or better invest in macro lens?

For Macro work the 5D would be a step backwards. The smaller the sensor the larger the depth of field. Going to a larger sensor just means having to use a smaller aperture to compensate for it. You gain nothing, but, a lighter wallet.

Great, in that case go for the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens instead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Either but you do need proper exposures.  You do need a post editor like Lightromm or Photoshop.  There are others but these two are the best, IMHO.  You can google 'focus stacking' and get some good hits.

Basically what you do is get different parts of the subject in focus not worrying about the rest that isn't.  The stacking software picks and chooses the sharpest parts of all the shots and 'stacks' them into one photo.

Lo and behold everything is sharp!  Smiley Happy

EB

62 REPLIES 62

@margzxero wrote:

I am a freelance product photographer but shooting a jewellery is very hard. I am planning to buy a Canon 5D or better invest in macro lens?

For Macro work the 5D would be a step backwards. The smaller the sensor the larger the depth of field. Going to a larger sensor just means having to use a smaller aperture to compensate for it. You gain nothing, but, a lighter wallet.

EB

Reasoning; if you are going to be in a professional or in a near professional world, the better gear will serve you better.  Rebels are designed for amateurs and are not intended for heavy day in and day out work.  The "L" class of lenses are also designed for professional work and built to take the demands.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You might still be left with a DOF problem. With flat objects like stamps and coins, you can compensate by shooting straight on. But a lot of jewelry doesn't really have a "straight on" angle. So you might want to consider a macro rail for your tripod, to aid in image stacking. Or go whole hog and get a tilt-shift lens. As you say, photographing jewelry is hard.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Naw, too much trouble.  Stack in PS ! Smiley Happy

EB

For focus stacking do I need to use continuous light or flash?

Thanks

Either but you do need proper exposures.  You do need a post editor like Lightromm or Photoshop.  There are others but these two are the best, IMHO.  You can google 'focus stacking' and get some good hits.

Basically what you do is get different parts of the subject in focus not worrying about the rest that isn't.  The stacking software picks and chooses the sharpest parts of all the shots and 'stacks' them into one photo.

Lo and behold everything is sharp!  Smiley Happy

EB

@margzxero wrote:

As others stated, a 5D will not help you at all if you're not getting sharp pictures with your current camera.  Personally I don't even think you need a new lens to get clear and sharp pictures.

The key is lighting and good focus.  Light needs to be diffused but bright.  Mount your camera on a tripod.  Use Av mode, set your ISO to 100 and set your aperture to f/16 or f/11 (if f/11 is sharper).  Make sure you are not closer than what the lens can do. Check it's MFD (min focus distance). Switch your lens to M (manual).  Use Live view and zoom in - canon cameras allow 10x zoom and manually focus until the part you want is crystal clear.  Set off the shutter by using a remote or use the 2 second self-timer to avoid camera shake.

For this kind of work, auto-focus is usually not precise enough and that's your problem right now.  For this lens, you may not be able to get close enough.  You need to crop but getting a sharp picture is not a problem with any lens.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"Personally I don't even think you need a new lens to get clear and sharp pictures."

You don't think the ef 100mm f2.8 macro can do better than a kit zoom?  Smiley Surprised  Just curious!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Personally I don't even think you need a new lens to get clear and sharp pictures."

You don't think the ef 100mm f2.8 macro can do better than a kit zoom?  Smiley Surprised  Just curious!

I didn't say that.  In capable hands, a macro lens will be infinitely better but if you can't get sharp and clear picture with a kit lens, you won't get sharp and clear pictures with a better lens, either.  There is no magic in a macro lens that will get you sharp picture without doing the right thing.  That is my point.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements