Help me to choose the best, it will be a gift T_T

Eva
Apprentice

Greetings to all

Im going to buy a camera for my husband

I know his type is the DSLR

He had one long  time, but sold it so i dont know what itz model

Am thinking to get him the latest by Canon

I read many reviews now I need to know the best for someone likes to shoot portrays

According to what I read 650D is good and 70D

I went amazon and I saw many options goes with that

so I found about lenses and other accessories which i dont know, and now I find myself lost

like what is the difference between

18-55mm EF-S IS STM Lens vs 18-135mm EF-S IS STM Lens ?

I wanna give him everything that he needs a full package

price doesnt matter

so please guide me Woman Sad

what is best for portray shooting

what all accessories that essential and must have

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The body needs to be good enough to be up to the task at hand.  Example:

Suppose I want to take an image of a flowers in a vase in excellent lighting.  The camera is on a tripod.  The subject is not moving (no "action" to capture.)  

In a situation like that, you basically have all the time in the world to frame up and capture that shot.  This shot isn't going to test the limits of what a camera can do -- any camera body would be fine.

If, on the other hand, you're shooting in very poor lighting, then a body that can handle high ISO senstivity levels while keeping the image "noise" levels low would definitely have an advantage.  If you're shooting "action" photography then a camera with a great focus system and a fast frame rate would be definitely have an advantage.

Since portraits tend to be posed and aren't "action" photography, the focus system and frame rate isn't usually critical.  You also usually get to control the lighting in portraiture rather than having to make-do with whatever lighting happens to be available -- so even the ability to shoot at very high ISO settings isn't actually very important (again... for portraiture.  For some other type of photography that might be really important.)

The new 70D will certainly be a more capable camera than the 650D.  

The 650D is part of Canon's "Rebel" series.  These are all entry-level bodies... the T3 being the low-end of the range and the T5i being the high-end of the "Rebel" range.  

The 70D is part of Canon's mid-range bodies... these are bodies that start to have the benefits of the pro bodies (e.g. the control layout on the camera is much closer to the pro bodies.)  

The big new feature on the 70D is Canon's new hybrid AF mode which is especially nice for shooting video.  The 70D also has basically the same focus system as is found on the Canon 7D (the 7D has a lot of optimizations which make it ideal for action photography).  It has a 19 point auto-focus system (vs. the 9 point system found on the Rebel bodies.)

Again... if you're subjects aren't moving then having a more advanced focus system isn't a big deal.

What would be a big deal for portraiture... is lighting gear.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Eva
Apprentice

I'm still reading reviews I noticed the lenses alone are expensive

so I hope you choose for me the one that is convinent .. or sth

btw I think he likes nature too at night..  but people and food r the most

The money am saving for this gift is 1866$

cicopo
Elite

There is no "best" because there are too many different uses & needs. In Canon brand cameras you have 2 formats to choose from, the 1.6 crop bodies & the full frame bodies. Full frame relates to using the very same image capture the original 35 mm SLR did & lenses act just like they did on those cameras. In other words a 100 mm lens acts like a 100 mm lens. On the 1.6 crop bodies the sensor is smaller & that very same lens now acts as if it's 160 mm's (artificially creating a more magnified image). The downside is that the crop bodies also capture a deeper Depth of Field (DOF) which sometimes isn't as appreciated in portraits as in other fields of photography. 

Lenses are the more important part of your purchase because the better the lens the sharper (more crisply focused) the image. Low end consumer grade lenses won't satisfy a serious photographer so that's the area you need to focus your research on. This Canon site should help show what the different numbers mean relative to how they magnify the scene.

http://www.canonlenses.ca/

And this one may help you understand DOF enough to see what "fast glass" does vs regular lenses.

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

Re portrait photography the general rule of thumb has been lenses (on full frame since it's an old rule) is from 85 mm to 135 mm and with a low f stop number (f 1.4 is better than f 2.8  and much better than f 4.0)

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for your information.. now another angle i have to focus on the bodies

But if the lense is all what matters.. I shouldn't care for the bodies. or should I?

I'll check your links, I need to read everything ..  thank you again

The body needs to be good enough to be up to the task at hand.  Example:

Suppose I want to take an image of a flowers in a vase in excellent lighting.  The camera is on a tripod.  The subject is not moving (no "action" to capture.)  

In a situation like that, you basically have all the time in the world to frame up and capture that shot.  This shot isn't going to test the limits of what a camera can do -- any camera body would be fine.

If, on the other hand, you're shooting in very poor lighting, then a body that can handle high ISO senstivity levels while keeping the image "noise" levels low would definitely have an advantage.  If you're shooting "action" photography then a camera with a great focus system and a fast frame rate would be definitely have an advantage.

Since portraits tend to be posed and aren't "action" photography, the focus system and frame rate isn't usually critical.  You also usually get to control the lighting in portraiture rather than having to make-do with whatever lighting happens to be available -- so even the ability to shoot at very high ISO settings isn't actually very important (again... for portraiture.  For some other type of photography that might be really important.)

The new 70D will certainly be a more capable camera than the 650D.  

The 650D is part of Canon's "Rebel" series.  These are all entry-level bodies... the T3 being the low-end of the range and the T5i being the high-end of the "Rebel" range.  

The 70D is part of Canon's mid-range bodies... these are bodies that start to have the benefits of the pro bodies (e.g. the control layout on the camera is much closer to the pro bodies.)  

The big new feature on the 70D is Canon's new hybrid AF mode which is especially nice for shooting video.  The 70D also has basically the same focus system as is found on the Canon 7D (the 7D has a lot of optimizations which make it ideal for action photography).  It has a 19 point auto-focus system (vs. the 9 point system found on the Rebel bodies.)

Again... if you're subjects aren't moving then having a more advanced focus system isn't a big deal.

What would be a big deal for portraiture... is lighting gear.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Wow I liked how you simply explained it all aspects to me

Thank you so much TCampbell for giving me these information also cicopo your links very very helpful I even passed the test so proud of myself Woman LOL

anyway guys I think am gonna go for 70D it's expensive but it's the latest with srtong body maybe even has more easier controling settings, which is just my guess I dont really know if someone can confirm plz Smiley Very Happy

,and for lenses 50mm as cicopo links suggest Smiley Tongue beside the stadnrad zoom lense

Thank you all for this great community and the great helpful membersHeart

Announcements