cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEIF to JPEG faster conversion?

nalla
Apprentice

I am trying to shoot in HEIF instead of JPEG, but there's one major thing getting in my way. Is there a way to convert HEIF photos to JPEG in-camera faster than doing it one at a time? It takes me far too long to go through hundreds of photos and convert them individually. If not, is there a good fast way to do it on my windows computer? I can't shoot in RAW for a few unrelated reasons, and I need to shoot in HEIF in-camera.

16 REPLIES 16

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I think you can only do one at a time in camera, but I have heard good things about the iMazing converter for the Mac:

https://imazing.com/heic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Why capture in HEIF only to convert to JPEG later? Or is that you want both?

Maybe shoot instead in RAW+JPEG, then look at creating the HEIF versions from RAW?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

Why capture in HEIF only to convert to JPEG later? Or is that you want both?

Maybe shoot instead in RAW+JPEG, then look at creating the HEIF versions from RAW?

OP says " I can't shoot in RAW for a few unrelated reasons, and I need to shoot in HEIF in-camera."

OP says he has a Windows computer; iMazing also available for Windows.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

When you convert HEIF photos to JPEG (at least in camera), the good image quality is preserved pretty well compared to shooting in JPEGs originally. I tested this myself and the difference is pretty noticeable.

@nalla wrote:

When you convert HEIF photos to JPEG (at least in camera), the good image quality is preserved pretty well compared to shooting in JPEGs originally. I tested this myself and the difference is pretty noticeable.

You might give DPP 4's batch convert a try. I'm going to tomorrow. Lets see if it works 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@nalla wrote:

You might give DPP 4's batch convert a try. I'm going to tomorrow. Lets see if it works 🙂

Newton

OK, so I just gave DPP4 a try and it does batch convert HIF to JPG or TIF. I only tested 6 files and it was pretty fast, but I have a 6core i7 gen 10 with NVMe drives in my laptop. It may not be fast enough for you, but it does work nicely and it's pretty painless. Odd thing is, I could not get DPP to open the HIF files, or the JPG's that I converted. For the HIF files, it just showed an icon with "HEIF" in the center, the jpegs just through up an error message when I tried to open them [EDIT] You have to "Enable HEVC Codec to view, edit and see, HIF/JPG files in DPP [EDIT]. I was able to open the JPeG's in Corel Paint Shop Pro, so they should open in PS or any newer editor.

HIF Batch Convert.jpg

I hope this helps,

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

At first glance I think HEIF is a solution to a problem we don't have. Single purpose is to make smaller files as I understand it but since the only camera that can make one is the 1DX Mk III as I also understand it. I don't have one!  Perhaps others by now? I also don't think any printers will print from it either. Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Edge won't display it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hard drive real estate and memory is cheap!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Regarding cheap storage... But as we end up with tens/hunreds-of-thousands of images and huge quantities of video, it is very nice to have smaller files.  Not only does that save space on your main drives, but on your backup drives as well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements