cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formating jpeg photos for contest

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I'm entering a contest for a wildlife calendar sponsored by the state wildlife agency. Here's what is specified- jpg photo, landscape, print no smaller than 8-1/2x11, minimum 300 pixels per inch. Here is the photo spec's:

1. jpg, 4.4 MB, 6000x4000.

2. jpg, 3.4 MB, 4608x3456.

Is there anything else you need? Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
13 REPLIES 13

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm not sure what you're asking with "Is there anything else you need?"

Anyhow, for both images you listed, they would give you at least 300 dpi when output to 8.5 x 11.   However, your photos are 3:2 aspect ratio and a US letter sheet is 1.29:1.

I would thus ask about if there's any aspect ratio requirement.  I mean, do they want an 8 x 10 put in the US letter sheet?  Or do they expect it to go edge-to-edge?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ricky, the calendar measures just shy of 8-1/2x11 and the photo goes edge to edge with no border. No ratio aspect is given. My concern is getting the photo to landscape. That's a new one for me. My question is if any other information about the photos is needed.

Thanks for your reply.

John

Wouldn't you just capture your images in landscape orientation?

Then, be sure to frame things such that you won't mind losing (cropping) the left and/or right edge.  In this image, the white rectangle is a 8.5 x 11 in landscape orientation.  The blue frame then represents a 3:2 aspect ratio photo set to fill the entire height.  You can see it going off the edges of the paper.

Thus, just crop your image as needed.

paper_vs_photo.png

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for the lesson!

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Here's what is specified- jpg photo, landscape, print no smaller than 8-1/2x11, minimum 300 pixels per inch. Here is the photo spec's:

1. jpg, 4.4 MB, 6000x4000.

2. jpg, 3.4 MB, 4608x3456."

A  print that is 8 1/2 x 11 with a resolution of 300 dpi is 2550 x 3300 pixels. It would be approx. 24 MB.  Resolution is directly and inversely proportional to the photo's actual size. When you increase the resolution of a photo, you reduce its physical size. When you enlarge a photo, you lower the resolution.

Keep in mind dpi is a printing spec and not a camera or monitor spec. You easily output this in PS or Elements.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

EB, thanks. My concern is emailing the photos and having them go through to the recipient. Had error messages in the past that photos were too big and I reduced them by 50%. The requirements were not critical but posted on a forum or personal email to friends.

John

"Had error messages in the past that photos were ..."

This perhaps the most misunderstood thing in photography. And it is not helped by many manufacturers. DPI is a print and printing specification. It is not a photographic spec.

EB

EB, noted on the dpi aspect. I would go to Explorer File to find the photo, resize 50%, save and then attach to the email. I usually send 3-4 photos to friends. If I attach some as taken, the last one won't attach to the email as too large. Then I reduce 50%. Easiest way would be to take Polaroid shots and send them snail mail.:

John

"I would go to Explorer File to find the photo, resize 50%, ..."

I don't know what is going on with how you are resizing so I can't advise. But I believe you have PSE? That is where you need to resize your photos, not File Explorer.

EB
Announcements