cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Battery?

LuckyJames
Enthusiast

Please share your experiences using generic batteries? Are they just fine, or will they wreck your camera? I am tempted to by cheap generics, but I do want some input from members on their experiences.

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Number #1 - Always best to buy OEM...  

But,

If you go generic...  I only use Watson....  only from B&H.

I have 2 OEM and 2 Watson's > Can't tell the difference.  Never put them on a ohm's meter, never had a reason.  The Watson's have never let me down, got hot, bulged, or caused any abnormal behavior.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

LuckyJames
Enthusiast
Thank you, appreciate your sage advice.

The truth is, some work, some don't and some are dangerous.  Some Cameras need to know what the battery is doing and a lot of the off brands don't tell it. If you have a cheap camera, OK, but if you have an expensive camera why risk it? That's your decision.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

My only third party battery experience wasn't a Watson but it was highly rated by reviewers.  I needed a battery quickly for my 1D Mark II and my regular places were out of OEM battery stock so I took a chance .  It charged and seemed to work OK until I tried to shoot some rapid bursts and it would cause the camera to lock up because the battery couldn't maintain required voltage under a sustained current load.  Both of the batteries charged fine, held a charge, and would work OK for non-demanding work but since I shoot a lot of sports they weren't acceptable for my use.  I can't remember the brand because I gave them away years ago to a friend who wasn't as concerned about camera performance.  These were older NiMH batteries instead of the Li-ion batteries used in most cameras now.

Bottom line is I only use Canon batteries in my gear.  Building batteries really isn't rocket science and they don't have to cost as much as Canon pricing but Canon does provide batteries which will meet their gear needs and quality standards.  Given what I have paid for Canon bodies and glass, I am not going to try to save a little on third party batteries because the potential risk return tradeoff doesn't balance for me. 

Although not common, be particularly careful with cheap and potentially poorly constructed lithium ion batteries because they can source incredible amounts of current for a short time which is what happens if they short internally and that results in a battery fire.  Their peak power density is pretty amazing, that is why those tiny automotive "jump starters" can claim such high output levels. Generally Li-ion battery fires occur because of charger issues but clearances are tiny in those packs so poor materials or assembly can create big problems. 

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

LuckyJames
Enthusiast
Thanks for your input, seems counterintuitive to spend $1000s on equipment and quibble over $20 on a battery.

I've bought a few Wasabi batteries over the years and am pleased with their performance both in my 60D and some older model Canon cameras. But they were not the absolutely cheapest batteries available. I don't feel guilty about saving maybe 25% compared to the OEM batteries. But if they're any cheaper than that I wouldn't even consider them.

Appreciate the guidance.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Are they just fine, or will they wreck your camera?"

They can be.                        Yes, they can.

The reason someone makes a statement like, I only buy Watson, or, I only purchase from B&H, is because of the likelihood of getting inferior or dangerous batteries.  That should be a clue but you do as you see fit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements