cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 12x36IS II Binoculars

Poses
Apprentice

I have a pair of Canon 12x36IS II Binoculars I bought in 2008 and The rubber coating on my binocular is becoming gummy, moveable and imprints everything, I took these on one trip when I bought them new otherwise they are stored on a shelve in my living room in the case, I pull them out once or twice a month for use. Is this normal? why is this happening and what can be done to stop this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello Poses,

We are very sorry to learn that your binoculars seem to have developed this issue where the grip has started to become gummy.  We're not aware that this a normal issue and regret you've experienced it thus far on your binoculars.  The best course from here would most likely be for you to send these to Canon for evaluation. 

You can set up and arrange a repair on our web site at your earliest convenience.  You would also be able to use the same web link to get in touch with our support team, if you needed technical assistance.   

12 x 36 IS II Binoculars

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Agreed, Cannon needs to be flogged.  I have the exact same issue.  Binoculars are used sparingly, jept in a cool dry place, and got this gooey surface now! 

jkzt1000
Contributor

I used rubbing alcohol and a lot of paper towels to remove the sticky layer on my dad's binoculars.  Even touching them would leave black residue all over my hand.  He had been using duct tape to try to hold them.  Here's a picture after the cleaning:After cleaningAfter cleaningBefore cleaningBefore cleaning

I tried alcohol and lots of cloth / paper towel rubbing.  It works some but very arduous and time consuming, it just doesn't come off easily.  After about an hour of this I wasn't halfway through and needed to brake.  Also tried mineral spirits but it's very harsh and harmful and since it didn't like melt the goop right off, I stopped using.  Maybe my binoculars weren't as far along as jkzt's, so it was harder to get it cleaned off??

Anyone have other suggestions to clean this up / off ??

It probably took me 1-2 hours to fully clean it.  Someone else mentioned using a toothbrush with rubbing alcohol made it a little easier.

I shouldn't have to give this advice. Nobody should. But just keep at it. I probably spent over two hours on each pair...and they're not perfect--barely passable. Unfortunately, it takes time.

The posts today have rekindled my disappointment regarding what's otherwise a great product.

DarrylSequeira
Apprentice

I have the same issue with my IS 12x36 IS ll Binocular. I just don’t understand why do they continue to sell this defected product. They must recall all these defected product and repair it free of cost. I hope the chemical is not toxic and harmful. This is a very irresponsible behaviour by Canon. I have Canon Cameras too and was planning to buy a mirror less high end model however, I will switch to a more reliable brand with better business ethics and integrity. 

We just used nail polish remover & then went over them with contractors solvent. They’re as good as new. 

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Canon is not the only manufacturer to use a rubber coating. I have two bite alarms used for fishing and they have a rubber coating...now a sticky rubber coating. I just live with it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements