cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 12x36IS II Binoculars

Poses
Apprentice

I have a pair of Canon 12x36IS II Binoculars I bought in 2008 and The rubber coating on my binocular is becoming gummy, moveable and imprints everything, I took these on one trip when I bought them new otherwise they are stored on a shelve in my living room in the case, I pull them out once or twice a month for use. Is this normal? why is this happening and what can be done to stop this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello Poses,

We are very sorry to learn that your binoculars seem to have developed this issue where the grip has started to become gummy.  We're not aware that this a normal issue and regret you've experienced it thus far on your binoculars.  The best course from here would most likely be for you to send these to Canon for evaluation. 

You can set up and arrange a repair on our web site at your earliest convenience.  You would also be able to use the same web link to get in touch with our support team, if you needed technical assistance.   

12 x 36 IS II Binoculars

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Hi Tim, I think, well I know, I have just discovered how to eliminate the sticky outer casing.  I have been through the cupboard and shed looking for a solution and discovered that using Acetone free nail polish remover and a lint free or cheese cloth and some severe elbow grease and hard work I am on the road to sticky free binoculars.   Good luck its definitely a game changer

VIVIANB
Apprentice

I have these binoculars and they are pealing and sticky

how do I get them repaired

thanks

Viv

VIVIANB, 

Based on your description, your binoculars will require service to correct this issue.

You may set up the repair of your binoculars by clicking here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

They wont cover their defective product. Want to charge me $ 300 to fix a detective product.

kettonox
Apprentice

I had a problem with corrosion from leaky batteries and my battery compartment parts corroded. I have bought new parts from Canon but I find I need an exploded diagram or other instuctions to help me open up the body of the binocuars and replace the parts.

I would appreciate some help or information on this, hopefully from Canon, since I have paid for their parts.

Thank you.

Jeffbrew
Contributor
My IS binoculars have been getting worse and worse for years until this year they finally melted down till they felt like a melted blob of tar. Totally unusable. They even deposited goopy rubber onto my fingers.

I tried some of the on-line suggestions - which only made them worse - but I was determined to bring them back because they still worked so well.

It occurred to me that lacquer (the kind intended to finish wood and metals) has a reputation for being able to coat and dry over any previous finish, so as a desperate last measure, I decided to try using this to coat them. I simply covered the eyepieces with a couple of medicine bottle caps, cut a little piece of masking tape to cover the power button, removed the strap, and stood them on a small board. objective lenses down. I sprayed them with lacquer from a spray can (Minwax brand works well and sprays nicely). The lacquer dries quickly - in about 30 minutes if you don't spray too thickly. I gave them four coats and let them dry overnight.

The results are spectacular. The stickyness is completely gone and they feel and work great. Of course they look a bit different - somewhat shinier (i used semi-gloss) and lumpy where the worst of the goopyness was - but frankly, I like the look - the well-worn feeling of old friends (after all, I have had them for over ten years!) and not having them look spiffy-new probably makes them less likely to be pinched. They still work as well as the day I got them.

I think that this is a permanent fix, but if they ever get sticky again, I will simply coat them once more. After all, it only took about ten minutes (except for the drying times).

jojoaiders
Apprentice

I just tried to use my 12x36 IS II for the first time in a year and they're gummy!  They've always stayed in the case, in my bedroom, which is set to 65 degrees.  They have not been exposed to chemicals.

Has anyone had success in getting assistance from Canon US?

So frustrating!

Cfinn
Apprentice
I contacted Canon about 6 years ago and sent mine in. Was told they had never heard of this but would repair for $300! Now I find this forum... how disappointing that Canon won't stand behind their products.

I really liked @jeffbrew's suggestion above. Unfortunately, it was too late for me--I ended up taking all sorts of toxic chemicals to both of mine and removing the sticky stuff. The binoculars look like crap, but they're not sticky anymore. I figure that they're less of a target for theft now...

Still, the fact that a problem like this is not addressed, let alone acknolwedged...that's pretty bad. My wife and I have been Canon fans for some time. Not any more. And we're spreading the word, FWIW.

pidloop
Apprentice

Me too. Come on Canon, you're better than this.

Announcements