cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CanoScan 9950F

billybobboy42
Contributor

Since there is no forum category for scanners, I am posting my problem here.

I have had this scanner since the Windows XP era and it has performed superbly up to and including Windows 7. But the last time I used it I could not turn it off.  The on/off toggle button feels normal, but just won't work.  I have unplugged both the power and USB cords and reconnected to no avail.  Otherwise,  the scanner still performs normally.  I'm sure it's not cost effective to attempt to have it fixed due to age, so if there is no software fix, I'll just have to unplug after each use.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

what i  did was put a switch in between the plug and power supply. Cost a couple of quid, but does the job fine.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi billybobboy42,

It does sound like some simple mechanical issue with the power switch.  Since the power is controlled by a toggle switch, there is no way to alter the power settings with the software or drivers.  If you wish to hear your service options, please feel free to Contact Us!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

well that answers my question. i have the same problem. such a high end scanner, cost me a fair bit and is the best i've had. and there isnt a reason to replace it, except the pain in the backside flashing led as i cant turn it off except by unplugging the psu.

is replacement of the switch simple? if so how do we get hold of a replacement switch.

Steve

canobabe
Apprentice

I have the same problem as billybobboy. I also have had it for eons and it is still performing really well except this inability to turn off. As billybob's problem was 4years ago  I am wondering if anyone has come up with, dare I say, an easy solution. At the moment I let it keep winking at me.

Help!

Thank you

what i  did was put a switch in between the plug and power supply. Cost a couple of quid, but does the job fine.

My gosh, has it really been 4 years since I posted this problem?  I am still using the scanner; i just unplug the unit when finished.  However, I do like the inline power toggle solution another poster recently suggested.  Might be better than plugging/unplugging the cord end at the scanner.

I am glad to hear that my problem is not unique to this model scanner.  Since it still works fine, I prefer to continue to use it vice purchasing a new one.  But I have to use it with my laptop which has Windows vs 7.  At Canon's website there appears to be no driver support for more recent Windows versions.

Thank you for the quick response. Will probably get the inline power switch. I too am on Windows 7 as still dithering about upgrading to 10.  Should have done it when it was free but there again if, as yousay, there is no driver support beyond Windows 7 I am better off as I am, for now anyway. I tend to use the scanner mostly for old negatives and photos and have absolutely no other complaints about it.  Amazed Canon has not come up with a solution.

Great forum Woman Happy

well thats i what we are told, i have been using mine with windows 10 ever since it came out. HOWEVER, i have just done a recent virgin install of windoze 10 and i had to search for an old  toolbox, v4.9, to get it to install.

install with that one and it works perfectly.

it is a shame that canon arent sorting an uptodate driver and softrwre for it, because these things werent cheap, and for somethng that is 10 years old, still is much better than a new one.

Thanks for the info re Windows 10. When I do get round to upgrading to 10, though possibly Windows will come up with 11, 12 or even 13 before I get round to it!!, I shall take your recommendation. 

If it still works and serves the purpose you bought it for in the first place, why waste money throwing something away by buying the most up to date. 

This is such an excellent site for feedback.

Thank you

Announcements