cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a R5C and having a problem!

bdlayers
Apprentice

Recently I've purchased the R5C from Amazon from a verified seller. The product came with original box and accessories. There's no issue with the camera its self but I'm having a problem registering it to my Canon account. It's stating originally the camera was purchased outside of the United States and thats why it's not allowing me to register it in the United States but that's where I live. Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem? I have the receipt from Amazon showing the date and information of the purchase. I would like to purchase the CarePAK for my camera because I spent a lot of money and accidents happen. I figured I would reach out to the community to see if anyone has encountered this problem before sitting on the phone with customer service. Thank you for your time!

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We hear stories like this from time to time.  

The Amazon marketplace is full of non authorized resellers pedaling used, counterfeit, gray market or illegally imported products.  

Only Amazon.com is an authorized reseller.  It must state ships from and sold by Amazon.   

You run the risk of receiving grey market merchandise when purchasing from a unauthorized Canon reseller.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/gray-market

Was the seller on this list?

https://www.usa.canon.com/content/dam/canon-assets/authorized-dealers/canon-ad-05-15-24.pdf

I suggest you return the camera and repurchase from an authorized reseller.  Keep this in mind. if your device ever requires service, you may not be able to receive support in the US.  

On an aside, the R5 C is a wonderful device.  I've owned mine just over 2 years and it delivers in quality and performance.  I purchase all of my gear from B&H Photo or directly from Canon USA.

I also applaud your decision to buy a CarePak.  While it adds additional expense to an already pricey purchase, if something happens, you have a service contract to protect from from accidents.  Also note, you cannot register a CarePak to a grey market item.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements