cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why that Instagram Moment can Kill You

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Given the number of people who have mentioned they are planning to go on safari and want lens advice, comes the cautionary tale of a Spanish tourist, on safari in Africa, who got out of the vehicle (against all safety rules) to get a close-up shot of a female elephant with young.  He was consequently trampled to death, in front of his fiancée, by the mother and the rest of the herd, and it is a stark and brutal reminder that one must treat animals in the wild as wild, and not let the desire for an image lead to a tragedy - for us or them.
See: 
South Africa elephants trample Spanish tourist to death in Pilanesberg National Park (bbc.com) and...
Spanish tourist killed by elephant in Pilanesberg (citizen.co.za)

The other thing it should indicate is that for wildlife you really do need the right gear for the job.  In my own personal experience I have seen people put themselves and others at risk to get images of wild animals by using inappropriate devices like cell phones, point and shoot cameras, or short focal lenses requiring them to get far too close to animals that can easily, without warning, turn to trample, gore or eat them. 

Wild animals for the most part are not interested in humans, but how we behave can hugely increase the risk. 

Things to consider:
The gear you choose: for large wildlife, having long lenses is a serious need: for example, it is recommended that, unless under controlled conditions, you give any bear at least 100m distance, preferably more. Grizzlies can run down and bring down a moose! Even deer can kill you with a kick or gore you with antlers or horns.  So, if you want to fill the frame, you need an appropriate focal length.  Even if you just rent the right lens, get the appropriate gear and you will have a much more satisfying and safe experience.

In the first image below, these people are putting themselves at danger by luring a black bear close - that mother black bear could be on them in a second  - literally.  During the time I was on a five-week shoot in the Canadian Rockies, 3 people were killed by black bears, likely from getting between the mother and young, or getting too close for the bear's comfort. 

Bating animals is not only illegal it creates an association of the animal that ties humans with food.  That will almost certainly end badly for the animal, and very likely an innocent human.
bear-photo-tourists-banff.jpg 

In the  second image there is a full-grown grizzly bear on the other side of that bush, with its prey.  That is one of the most dangerous times, as any hunting animal will aggressively protect their meal.
banff-grizzly-photographer-closeup.jpg

There are laws regarding behaviour around animals for the safety of you and them.  For example,  Orcas (varying by country), but generally requiring between 100m and 200m between your boat and the pod.  This does not stop them coming to you, (they might be curious) but you can't try to get nearer. If they get close, cut your engine.

A grey whale dives at about 200m.

5DIII, EF 70-300L@235mm, f/11, 1/1250sec, ISO-2005DIII, EF 70-300L@235mm, f/11, 1/1250sec, ISO-200

These orcas came within 10m of us, by their choice - we got wet from their exhalations, amazing - but you cannot initiate that.

5DIII, 70mm, f/11, 1/500sec, ISO-2005DIII, 70mm, f/11, 1/500sec, ISO-200

Study the places you are going to visit:
Learn about the local laws and  protocols for engaging with wildlife, and the people themselves.  Watch videos on animal behaviour to learn the signs that indicate what they might do next. BBC David Attenborough videos are great.  Not only will it reduce your risk, but you may anticipate a great photo opportunity, and certainly you will have far more context with which to appreciate the animals and the people and their cultures where you go.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
5 REPLIES 5

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Trevor, well said. Africa- by approaching the female elephant, he was introducing an an aggressive posture seen as a threat to the calf. USA- Yellowstone NP has a myriad on instances of people getting seriously hurt by not obeying common sense with wildlife. The name indicates they are wild! Hello? I was browsing the news on my phone. Two people were slightly injured by bears in Gatlinburg, Tennessee which is a tourist haven. The two people came out of their motel room and surprised bears that were feeding trash cans. Gatlinburg has seen, many times, black bears wandering through the town as if they owned the place. At one time, they did own the place.

To follow Trevor's recommendations...use photographic equipment that allows safe distances from the subject. iPhone won't do, even with all its features. I have some books on photography that recommend zoom lenses for wildlife, whether birds or bears.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I was photographing a child's birthday party in 2014 and during a move to where a piñata was hanging, I saw a cow with a calf about 50 yards away so I got a bit closer, got down on one knee, and started taking some photos. I got so engrossed in watching her stamping her hooves and throwing dirt that I didn't even think that a "charge" was coming next. I knew it would happen, I just got wrapped up in the moment and the shot was all I was thinking about. There were no trees so I ended up chest deep in a nearby pond with mama at the shore. She gave one more snort and stamped her hoof then ran back to her calf 😂

Cow and Calf-1b.JPG

Newton

Newton, 

You made me think of all the wild animals who stomp.

I rounded the corner of my house one pitch dark night and got stomped at by a full grown deer. Scared the bejeesus out of me.

Stomping is a definite sign that you should get the hell out of there.

😀

Steve Thomas

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Allow me to add regarding the careless people in the Yellowstone NP; the blending of tourist and moron has led to a new word- touron. This not only refers to contact with wild animals but disregarding the warning signs around the hot springs. One man fell into a highly acid cauldron. They found his jeans and wallet.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Touron ahhahahahah I love that

click here to view the gallery
Announcements