cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All this AI is Eating Up Drive Space

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

When I set up my home computers, I do so the same way I did when I worked at it.  So, a large capacity disc split into at least two partitions: one is for Drive C: and that is my boot disc, operating system (Windows) and programs.  The second partition Drive contains my data - desktop, downloads, installation files for the OS and apps, and of course, the data files.   

The reason for this separation is because a disc partition acts like the watertight partitions in a ship. If one is compromised the other remains functional.   On the occasions when I have seen a major issue, it has been on the C: drive.  In extremis, one can format the partition clean and do a reinstall, using the recovery disc you should create when you have configured your computer.  With that one can get the basics of the OS going again and reinstall windows and the apps, using the source files from the D:drive.   Of course the data remains intact and is backed up regularly.

All that aside, I have historically left around 150gB of free space on the C: drive and that was fine for years, until AI started inflating the O/S, browsers and, in particular, Adobe products.  Suddenly my spare space on C: had shrunk to on a few MB.   The answer was to do a full back up of all of the material on the D:drive, delete that partition and then extend the C:drive to give it more space - which I did with an extra 150GB.   Then I re-created a new D:drive and restored the contents, so we're back to BAU.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
5 REPLIES 5

normadel
Authority
Authority

Well, separate partitions may offer protection as you say, but they are no protection at all from a failing/failed drive. Drive corruption can render the entire drive unusable, not just the system partition.  Partitioning a drive has ORGANIZATIONAL benefits, not SAFETY benefits.

Sorry, but it is also a safety benefit, but I totally agree about having multiple separate backups on different platforms. 👍 That is why I have 3 sets of backup discs for my data.  However, that is a separate issue to do with loss of the drive system or hardware for any number of reasons: hardware failure, theft, fire etc.

The setting up of a partition each for OS and apps separate from that for data, is a standard commercial practise, to protect against a software corruption that renders the OS inoperative and would otherwise create a risk of having to format the drive clean again to use it. This corruption can happen for any number of reasons - a bad update design causing OS issues (seen a few of them in my career), scrambled read/write etc.   I did it for decades when I worked on numerous large clients' enterprise systems as an engineer in a couple of large computer companies in North America - I was contracted to IBM and MS as an engineer and taught as a master trainer. 

FWIW, until I retired, I was certified as a MS engineer, and am still A+, and network+ certified, as well as a certified ITIL Expert and Trainer. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Any way to get around or eliminate the AI? I have a problem with modern electronics when they add things I don't want or never asked if I want it or need it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hi Trevor. I checked my LrC and Ps folders and both are less than 4GB. What are you seeing relative to folder name and size?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks for your input John!
I agree with your values.  It seems that some other programs are getting into the bandwagon - especially some aspects of windows - the list of Win 11 associated files has exploded and I have received about 1 update per week.

Whatever the cause, my normal junk-cleaning programs don't see them as an issue and I have successfully extended the logical C: drive space to give me another spare 150GB of storage, that should hold it for a while!  I am planning a desktop or workstation purchase around Christmas (I am currently using a MS Surface Pro) and then I can happily configure that to my own requirements at the time.

cheers, TREVOR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements