cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s your storage/ backup routine

SamanthaCat
Apprentice

Hello, Canon community! I’m trying to streamline my storage process. Currently, I house my photos on my hard drive and external drives. However, I’m concerned about loss of disk space and external drives failing. With that said, I decided to checkout Backblaze. However, it looks like Backblaze simply mirrors your desktop and doesn’t let you store files. Grumble….

How do you guys store your images online? I’m not a fan of Dropbox or Google storage. 

6 REPLIES 6

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Good question and will be looking for the member's answers.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't store them online. I use Apple's Time Machine and a clone, along with a little external with only my Photos Library.

LyndseyMac
Apprentice

I currently don’t have online storage - but I probably should. There are several services. 
But I do backup everything. I have my main PC drive and contents and an additional larger hard-drive and a backup drive that automatically mirrors both of my drives. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Yes, hard drives fail. And yes, you can fill them up. That's why you should have multiple backups of your data.  And if you have immense amounts of data, you can split it up over multiple drives.  Hard drives are cheap when you look at capacity vs cost.

Storing in the cloud is okay, but even that should not be your only backup location. Things get lost or corrupted in the cloud too.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I have 2 10TB QNAP NAS devices that replicate to one another.  I also use external drives, and Google for cloud storage.  AWS and Azure are also good options.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I too have a NAS system, with two backup drives connected to it. And I have external drives at two workstations in my house that I sync from what's on the NAS, so I have data access if the NAS goes down. Plus I have a bare hard drive that has everything on it which which I sync periodically and store offsite (my backyard shed) in case of a house disaster, like fire or electrical calamity. 

Some might say it's overkill, but I say there's no such thing.

Announcements