cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility freezes periodically after update

violentlycurly
Apprentice

I use my Canon EOS Rebel T7 and EOS Webcam Utility Pro on my iMac with Ventura 13.   Two weeks ago it stopped working so I updated it to the Webcam utility 2.2.22 to get it to work again.  Since then, my camera feed is freezing periodically for 3-10 seconds, somewhere between every 5-20 minutes.  It's very frustrating and this issue messing with my ability to work properly.  Please fix this bug!

7 REPLIES 7

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings violentlycurly,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a performance issue with your EOS Rebel T7 when used with the EOS Webcam Utility. Let's check to see if the USB cable is firmly attached to the camera as well as the computer. If possible, please test a different USB cable and a different USB port on the computer. In case you are using a USB hub that allows multiple devices to connect to your computer, then either plug the camera directly to the computer or remove all other devices from the USB hub.

Please check to see if there is any software on your computer that may be attempting to communicate with the camera, like a photo application.

You may also reset the camera to factory specifications to see if this helps resolve the issue. I will provide you with a link to the user guide, and the steps to clear the settings are on page 194. Please make sure to have the camera in either the P, Tv, Av, or the M mode to allow this option to be available in the camera’s menu.

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300029810/01/eos-rebelt7-1500d-im-en.pdf

Thank you for your reply. I bought a new USB cable and tried multiple different ports; no change, still freezes.  I unplugged everything from my computer but my camera and my mouse, all plugged directly into the back on my computer, no hubs and still there are freezes.  No other software is using the camera, only the Webcam Utility.  I did the suggested camera reset to factory specifications and updated the recommended firmware.  Nothing has worked, my camera continues to freeze periodically.  What should I do next?  I really feel like I've tried every avenue and that this is no longer in my hands.  Please fix!

Also, on this page https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-rebel-t7# it recommends the 3.18.5 version of EOS Utility macOS released on 06.12.24 and not the newer 3.18.11 version released on 08.20.24?  Which one am I supposed to be using?

Greetings violentlycurly,

Thank you for performing the suggested troubleshooting steps and I'm sorry to hear that the camera is still not functioning properly when used as a webcam.

Per review, EOS Utility 3.18.11 is the latest version to download and install, but this is our EOS Utility software that allows users to download images from the camera through a USB cable or to operate the camera remotely for remote shooting, but it will not offer the capabilities to use the camera as a webcam.

Going further down on the list of software from the link you've provided, you will see "EOS Webcam Utility Pro 2.2.22 (macOS)" which is what you state you already have installed on your computer. If possible, please test to see if the same issue occurs if the camera is used as a webcam on a different computer. This may help to determine if there may be something on your computer that is causing this temporary image freezing issue when the EOS Rebel T7 is used as a webcam.

I do not have a second computer, but I know I am not the only person experiencing this issue. https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Webcam-Utility-Pro/EOS-Webcam-Utility-Pro-stuttering-freezing... As they state is that link and I stated when I started this post, everything was working just fine until we did the most recent update.   PLEASE fix it, this issue is messing with my income; webcam capabilities is the entire reason why I bought this camera in the first place.

P.S. Is there a way to go back to the previous version that worked?

Hello violentlycurly,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue persists. Is there any other software open? Let's try only opening the necessary software for additional troubleshooting. You may want to try accessing the Webcam Utility Pro software via another streaming platform to see if the issue lies within the platform that you're using. I have included a link to our webpage HERE displaying compatible apps.

No, there is no other software open.  As previously mentioned multiple times, I've tried everything including unplugging every single other device from my computer and having nothing but the EOS Webcam Pro Software open.  I have specifically tested it with canons software ALONE and there are freezes. I REPEAT, THE FREEZES HAPPEN INSIDE THE EOS WEBCAM PRO SOFTWARE ITSELF, NOT JUST THROUGH OTHER APPS.  Not sure how else I can say this.  Please fix.

ilanagolan
Contributor

Hi, I am having a similar issue!

I am using a MacBook Pro Sonoma OS with Canon E05 and the EOS Webcam Utility. This started a few months ago from the latest update I believe. I need this to work without freezing due to my podcast/videocast and webinars that I am relying heavily for business. Thank you so much in advance!!

Announcements