cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility not working under Mac OS Sonoma 14.5?

Stefan1
Contributor

Dear community,

My Mac upgraded to "Mac OS Sonoma 14.5". "EOS Utility 3.app" seems to connect fine, and the "Remote Shooting" / "live view shoot" feature seems to work just fine. But the rest doesn't: "EOS Webcam Utility Pro", Zoom, Teams etc. don't seem to connect and only show the "EOS Webcam Utility" home screen, instead of the usual camera stream.

So basically I can no more use the camera as a high-end webcam for which I am using the camera to record videos as I speak at online conferences. 

Any ideas what is happening? Is this indeed linked to the Mac OS Sonoma 14.5 upgrade? Any ideas for troubleshooting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is how to overcome that problem:

The EOS R6 is able to continue HDMI output passed the 30 minute cut off. To do that the camera will need to be in either P, Tv, Av, or M movie mode. Then press the Menu button, go to the eighth page under the red camera tab, select HDMI Display, and set it to the option that has camera and computer screen icons. Once you've done that go to the third page under the yellow wrench icon, select Power Saving, and double check that Auto Power Off is disabled.

Once both of those are set the camera will be able to continue the HDMI output beyond the 30 minute cut off. If you would like to reference the manual for information on that it is noted on page 353. If you need a copy of the current manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals tab and the one to reference is named EOS R6 Advanced User Guide.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does this help?

Service Notice: EOS Webcam Utility Pro Software for macOS: Version 2.1.18 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Stefan1
Contributor

thanks for your feedback. I had the the Pro software already installed and it was updated. So that didn't make a difference. I don't need that software either; the key is that Zoom and Teams etc. work. But they don't...

Mostly_Birds
Apprentice

I cannot even get EOS Utility to connect to my R-5. It doesn't see the camera. My workaround is to use Apple's Image Capture to transfer photos from the camera to my Mac, and then the Rename function of Canon Digital Photo Pro 4 to rename the files. Basically I have had to break the EOS Utility function into two other apps. It's cumbersome, but it works.

I don't have trouble transferring the images (you might as well simply use the SD card for that); my primary use case is to use my R6 as a webcam for online-conferences and video-taking.

To use my R6 as a webcam, I have to rely on EOS Utility – I don't know any other way. And EOS Utility doesn't seem to work anymore. I am assuming it doesn't work anymore since my Mac upgraded to "Mac OS Sonoma 14.5", but even here I am not sure. 

Any ideas how I could identify the error with certainty? 

Any other ideas?

Any alternatives to EOS Utility?

Register your product (if you haven't already) and give Canon Support a call.

Canon Support for EOS R6 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Stefan1
Contributor

I have purchased elgato camlink 4k. This worked immediately. 

The Canon EOS Utility is not reliable, and I hope the elgato camlink 4k device will take over from there. 

Having said that, it is quite deceiving what Canon offers. The entire Canon software feels like from the medieval ages...

Leveraging elgato camlink 4k works, but now the problem is that the camera keeps going to sleep after 30min while I am live streaming. Any way of resolving that?
Why is Canon giving us all that pain?

Here is how to overcome that problem:

The EOS R6 is able to continue HDMI output passed the 30 minute cut off. To do that the camera will need to be in either P, Tv, Av, or M movie mode. Then press the Menu button, go to the eighth page under the red camera tab, select HDMI Display, and set it to the option that has camera and computer screen icons. Once you've done that go to the third page under the yellow wrench icon, select Power Saving, and double check that Auto Power Off is disabled.

Once both of those are set the camera will be able to continue the HDMI output beyond the 30 minute cut off. If you would like to reference the manual for information on that it is noted on page 353. If you need a copy of the current manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals tab and the one to reference is named EOS R6 Advanced User Guide.

GlenroseMedia
Contributor

After much frustration, and uninstalls/reinstalls, I stumbled upon an answer. I noticed that my camera (80D) would communicate correctly with EOS utility, but would not work with webcam utility. As I was puzzled, staring at the camera in disbelief, I noticed the red disk activity light was practically on solid as webcam utility was (trying to communicate?) open. So, I decided to remove the memory card, and wouldn’t you know, the camera immediately became available in webcam utility. Why? Maybe macOS sees that card as something other than the camera? Who knows. But this simple step solved my weeks long headache…

Just sayin’

JP

Announcements