cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i EXIF data and thumbnail previews not working in Windows Explorer.

BuckyKat
Apprentice

I got a T6i last week and I've found that when viewing the CR2 files in Windows Explorer I don't get thumbnail previews nor EXIF data as my Rebel XT's CR2 files have.

This is how the thumbnails appear in Windows Explorer. The image on the far right is from my Rebel XT while the other three images are from the T6i. At the bottom of the image you can also see the EXIF metadata for the Rebel XT image.

thumbnails.jpg

Here is how all the T6i EXIF info appears.

EXIF.jpg

However, if I view the files in Adobe Bridge I can see that all the data has been written to the files.

metadata.jpg

Any thoughts on what's going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BuckyKat
Apprentice

I ended up buying FastPictureViewer codec and that allowed me to see thumbnails again. [link removed per forum guidelines]

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

ScottyP
Authority
I have never tried to view RAW files in Windows Explorer, but I do know that each camera gets its own version of Camera Raw, and it can take time for 3rd party viewers to work out a way to view them. The T6i is brand new so I feel it is something along those lines.

If you convert it to JPG in the Canon software it will display anywhere. Also, Adobe is very fast at updating for new Canon cameras so Lightroom or PSE should be good to go soon if not already.

And if you have an older version of an adobe product, it will NEVER be updated with the new camera's raw decoder. I had to upgrade my old LR3 when I got a 6d. That is how they make you buy new versions of their software. They just came out with LR6. It is so close they might update LR5 to work with T6i files or they may not.

I was looking on Adobe's site and it released a ver.8.8 supporting the T6i but it was not clear that was compatible with the latest LR5 update 5.7.1.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

^^ This

RAW (and the Canon .CR2 file) isn't so much a "standard" as it is a "concept".  Each camera has its own unique RAW file -- even though they all have .CR2 extensions.

I use a Mac and it seems like every couple of months there's another Camera RAW update that adds the latest list of cameras to the RAW support for the OS.  Their most recent update includes the Canon 5DS, 5DS R, T6i, and T6s (and lots of other cameras from other vendors).

Microsoft does not bundle the RAW support directly into the OS as Apple does, but they DO provide RAW support that you can download and install (and it's free -- but you have to go get it.  It's not just on the machine by default.)  They don't seem to update these nearly as often as Apple.  The most recent one I seem to be able to find is this one:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829  But that's about 13 months ago.

To view the RAW images directly in Windows Explorer, I think you'll need the Microsoft RAW Codec (not sure if Adobe provides a way to make their RAW codecs work directly in Windows Explorer -- but they'd certainly work inside Adobe Bridge or Lightroom's thumbnail viewer.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I already have the most current version of the Microsoft Camera Codec pack, which Microsoft updated over a year ago. I installed the Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 software and rebooted but that didn't solve the issue either.

I found that when I attempt to edit the EXIF data in Explorer I get the error 0x88982F50 which is a Windows Imaging Component code for WINCODEC_ERR_COMPONENTNOTFOUND.

@BuckyKat wrote:

I already have the most current version of the Microsoft Camera Codec pack, which Microsoft updated over a year ago.

When the T6i hadn't even been announced yet, right? It should be no surprise that that version of the Microsoft Codec doesn't work for you. BTW, are you even sure that Irfanview uses the Microsoft Codec?

I installed the Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 software and rebooted but that didn't solve the issue either.

It should be the latest release, from the middle of last week. You'd probably need the latest release of  EOS Utility Version 3 as well. And did you remember to change the default display program for .CR2 files from Irfanview to DPP?

I found that when I attempt to edit the EXIF data in Explorer I get the error 0x88982F50 which is a Windows Imaging Component code for WINCODEC_ERR_COMPONENTNOTFOUND.

Don't even dream of using Windows Explorer to edit Exif data. The Windows components may have the same names as some of the items in the (Canon proprietary) .CR2 format, but they're generally not in the same place in the file. Change them and you can make your RAW images unreadable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I just got the T6i. This is what Canon said: 

Thank you for your reply regarding RAW thumbnails.

I'm very sorry that I didn't catch this previously.  Windows allows you to view thumbnails with the use of Camera "codecs".  Codecs are files that allow Windows to decode images enough to allow you to view, and sometimes edit them. The latest version, Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0)

, was released in 2014 and does not include support for the EOS Rebel T6i.

I do recommend checking back to the linked site for updates for their codecs and I recommend against the use of codecs from sources other then Microsoft.

I'm very sorry for the difficulty, inconvenience and frustration this has caused.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.  Thank you for choosing Canon.

contacted Microsoft and there is no new update. This really sucks because I shoot only in raw (gives me more flexibility in processing my photos) and I now have to do some extra steps just to know what to transfer and to what folder I transfer to. I  do not understand why all the problems and makes me less likely to purchase another microsoft based computer and Canon camera due to these issues that no one should be having.  Soent alot of money on both products and then to discover that I have to do extra work or that I cant use something that I could before is just wrong. 

"I just got the T6i. This is what Canon said:....." 

I don't understand what your issue is.  What do you expect? 

If you expect MS Windows to be able to allow to edit any file format out there, including proprietary formats, then I that would be asking a bit much.  There is a standard format for storing metadata within files.  Canon's CR2 files seem to embed some metadata within the file, which is  a proprietary format.

If all you wish to see are thumbnail previews of CR2 files, that feature is available in Windows 10.  As far as reviewing metadata [file properties:details] the same metadata fields that were able to read by previous versions of Windows are all that I can see in Windows 10.  So far, the only change I have seen is that I can see previews of Canon CR2 files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What I expect is what I have been able to see previously with windows 10. To be able to see the pic (CR2 raw) in the thumbnail on windows 10 as I have with pics taken with my other cameras (both Canon). I should be able to open up Photo viewer and see the pic in the thumbnail. Simple as that, but because Microsoft hasnt done an update on the codecs since 2014 and does not include support for the T6i.  I do not expect Microsoft Windows to edit the photos, that is done by lightroom. I do expect and should be able to open up the drive and see the pics I have taken in the thumbnail, not a generic icon. 

"What I expect is what I have been able to see previously with windows 10.  ....  I do not expect Microsoft Windows to edit the photos, that is done by lightroom.  I do expect and should be able to open up the drive and see the pics I have taken in the thumbnail, not a generic icon. " 

Like  I said, to expect that Windows to be able to open up the files is asking a bit too much.  I still do not understand your expectation.  You haven't even stated what version of Windows you're having an issue with. 

Can you see images of CR2 files on thumbnails, or not?  What version of Windows are you taking exception with?

Furthermore, it is neither Microsoft's responsibililty, or obligation, to provide or obtain CODECs from every vendor out there. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I dont actually understand what you are saying. I am using windows 10 and pics taken with my rebel xt and T3i I was able to open up the sd drive, see the pic I took in a thumbnail. But with pics taken with the T6i I am unable to. I do not understand why that is hard to understand and why I shouldnt expect to be able to see the pic I took as a thumbnail now.  Sorry, I thought I was clear as to not being able to see my raw photos in a thumbnail.  I thought I had said raw photos taken wiht my t6i and using windows 10, if I didnt, my apologies. 

Announcements