cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i EXIF data and thumbnail previews not working in Windows Explorer.

BuckyKat
Apprentice

I got a T6i last week and I've found that when viewing the CR2 files in Windows Explorer I don't get thumbnail previews nor EXIF data as my Rebel XT's CR2 files have.

This is how the thumbnails appear in Windows Explorer. The image on the far right is from my Rebel XT while the other three images are from the T6i. At the bottom of the image you can also see the EXIF metadata for the Rebel XT image.

thumbnails.jpg

Here is how all the T6i EXIF info appears.

EXIF.jpg

However, if I view the files in Adobe Bridge I can see that all the data has been written to the files.

metadata.jpg

Any thoughts on what's going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BuckyKat
Apprentice

I ended up buying FastPictureViewer codec and that allowed me to see thumbnails again. [link removed per forum guidelines]

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Well someone should be able to provide codecs that Canon supports. They state to only use microsoft ones and do not trust outside vendors.

Hi, I think he mentioned windows 10. I see what he means. I have the same issue with the 5Ds r. With my 5D, I could open a folder where the raw files were downloaded to, and if explorer is set to view small, medium or large icons, it would show the thumbnail without having to open lightroom, and go through setting up and importing etc just to get a quick look at the thumbs. It makes sorting (moving groups of raws to different folders a simple click as opposed to the long way in DPP4 or lightroom, photo mechanic etc... I have looked for answers to this one myself. I hope that made more sense to you.

**This is a new problem, anyone with old camers (t5 and before) will still be able to see the raw's as described above.  It's just the brand new T6i and 5Ds and 5Ds r that there is an issue with...***

“Someday,  when my time is done, make sure my camera is placed in my hands with my finger on the shutter button. I don’t miss any shots when I get to the other side”

I am unable to see the previews, thumbnails, of the pictures I took with my t6i when I insert the sd card in to view and then transfer to pc and am unable to see the previews or the actual raw photos when I open the photo viewer. With my other cameras there wasnt a problem.  The codecs provided by Canon in 2014 and does not include support for the T6i and without those, as I understand it, one is unable to view the previews/ thumbnails. And they do not recommend using codecs from sources outside of Microsoft. 

Not trying to edit, just want to see my raw files in a preview screen so I can decide which photos go into what folders.

@BuckyKat wrote:

I got a T6i last week and I've found that when viewing the CR2 files in Windows Explorer I don't get thumbnail previews nor EXIF data as my Rebel XT's CR2 files have.

This is how the thumbnails appear in Windows Explorer. The image on the far right is from my Rebel XT while the other three images are from the T6i. At the bottom of the image you can also see the EXIF metadata for the Rebel XT image.

thumbnails.jpg

Here is how all the T6i EXIF info appears.

EXIF.jpg

However, if I view the files in Adobe Bridge I can see that all the data has been written to the files.

metadata.jpg

Any thoughts on what's going on?

You appear to have your computer set to use Irfanview to preview your .CR2 files. Irfanview probably doesn't yet know how to read your T6i's RAW files. (At least the version you have installed doesn't.) Try setting the computer to use DPP instead.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

BuckyKat
Apprentice

I ended up buying FastPictureViewer codec and that allowed me to see thumbnails again. [link removed per forum guidelines]

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements