cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading from T5i to T6i

lmh321
Apprentice

Newbie here.  Does anyone know where I could potentially trade-in my T5i body for a T6i body?  Or a reliable place to sell it?  I've only had it since last October and haven't used it all that much.  I just really want a wi-fi capable dslr camera!  Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

@lmh321 wrote:

Newbie here.  Does anyone know where I could potentially trade-in my T5i body for a T6i body?  Or a reliable place to sell it?  I've only had it since last October and haven't used it all that much.  I just really want a wi-fi capable dslr camera!  Thanks!

I don't like to rain on your parade, but I don't think that's something I'd jump into if I were you. Unless you're a photojournalist with immediate deadlines, you may find wi-fi more trouble than it's worth. I haven't used a wi-fi capable camera, but I've read a lot of cursing and whining from those who have. Very frankly, while wi-fi has its legitimate uses, it's one of the more oversold technologies alive today. (Not quite in the "wearables" class, but within shouting distance.) And a camera isn't one of its most natural platforms.

Full disclosure: I was the lead system engineer on a wi-fi implementation project a few years ago and spent a lot of time futzing around on the roofs of buildings. So I'm not a newbie.

As for the T6i, I think (especially if I already had an almost new T5i) I'd stick with this slight paraphrase of Alexander Pope:

"Be not the first by whom the new is tried

Nor yet the last to lay the old aside."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree with Robert about wifi. But if you really think you need it I believe you would be better served keeping the T5i and getting an Eye-fi card for under $100. It would cost less and it is also an SD card.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have an EyeFi card... that was painful.  It can't control the camera (you'd need another way to trigger the camera to shoot... either a wired or wireless remote).  You can't control the exposure settings (that has to be pre-established).  The only thing the EyeFi card does is transfer the images when the exposure is complete.  Also it will not transfer images until you stop shooting (it can't transfer images while the camera is shooting more images... so you have to stop shooting, wait for it to go into transfer mode, and then wait for the transfer to complete.  It's painfully slow at transfers.  JPEGs take many seconds... RAW images take what seems like an eternity.)

I also have a CamRanger... that's actually quite nice.  Also the CamRanger's WiFi seems to be stronger/faster and it's certainly a LOT easier to manage the connection to the camera.    If you shoot RAW the CamRanger will transfer just the embedded preview image so you can see the thumbnail... and tap it if you want the full image to come across.  This means you get a preview very quickly and then you control which "full" RAW images you actually want (not wasting your time transferring images that are rejects.)  You can control everything.  The CamRanger basically can do everything a tethered computer session could do.  But the device is external -- about the size of a cellphone.  It attaches via a short USB cable into the side of the camera (it can control just about any Canon camera.  If the camera can be controlled via  computer & USB tethered connection then it can be controlled via CamRanger.)   In addition to WiFi it also has a wired ethernet port -- so you can do wired transfers over CAT5 ethernet cable as well.

That said... the VAST majority of the time I just use the camera as a normal camera (I don't use any wireless.)  I only bother with wireless when I need to setup the camera in a way where it would be difficult for me to directly control the camera... OR if I need to do a tethered shooting session with immediate output to the computer screen.  That's not very often.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Good points Tim. I was thinking too narrowly and neglecting remote control.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

lmh321
Apprentice
Thank you all! I apprciate the input!
Announcements