cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange line in every picture when in held in landscape or portrait.

Luckydvl
Apprentice

So just got this T3i used and i took pictures during the holiday with it and notice this strange line in every picture some stand out more then other due to the background, i thought maybe it was the lens but shot with out the lens on and still showed line, is my sensor messedup or has a scratch? Is there a easy fix or will i have to have them repair it and will it be worth to repair it or try to get another camera. I really like the t3i and i just got it so i dont have the money to just buy another camera. I would have to sell this and try to find a good deal on one. can anyone help and tell me what it is. thanks ahead of time.Gabe.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
That line is too perfectly uniform and vertical to be a lens issue or a hair on the sensor or anything like that.

It could be something with the SD card. It could also be something wrong with the sensor.

Do you have another card to try?

I suggest you try reformatting the card and see if that helps. Go into MENU and do a deep reformat. If that doesn't work and if a different card doesn't work you probably have a sensor problem.

Can you return it to where you got it? It would be wrong to sell a broken camera on to someone else.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Luckydvl wrote:

So just got this T3i used and i took pictures during the holiday with it and notice this strange line in every picture some stand out more then other due to the background, i thought maybe it was the lens but shot with out the lens on and still showed line, is my sensor messedup or has a scratch? Is there a easy fix or will i have to have them repair it and will it be worth to repair it or try to get another camera. I really like the t3i and i just got it so i dont have the money to just buy another camera. I would have to sell this and try to find a good deal on one. can anyone help and tell me what it is. thanks ahead of time.Gabe.JPG

Looks like a sensor defect to me.

I would exchange the camera or send it into Canon for repair.

In the OP's presentation of the picture, the line that I see is white (or very light gray). But if I start to reply to his post, the line I see is black. In Tom's post I don't see the line at all. But if I start to reply, I do see it, and again it's black. This suggests to me that the line isn't frozen into the pixels but is a consequence of the way the JPEG is organized, possibly even of the way a compression algorithm is being applied. None of this exonerates the sensor as the original source of the problem, but it does open up some wider possibilities. If the image was shot in RAW, it might be instructive to see the results of different RAW-to-JPEG converters. Even if it was shot in JPEG, is the line invariant under different editing software or different resolutions or levels of compression? I'd be surprised if this turned out to be entirely a software problem, but obtaining more information might aid in assessing what hardware could be at fault and what might be involved in repairing it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Looks like a sensor defect to me.

I would exchange the camera or send it into Canon for repair."

Sorry!  I agree.  Smiley Sad

However it can easily be fixed in post editing if you are unable to return the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thanks all for your help really appreciate it, i have contacted the seller to see if we can resolve the issues weather a return or partial money back. But I will try some of the ideas , and see if it fixes any of it, and yes i shot the picture in raw and exported it out from lightroom. But i will try to buy a new SD card and see if that helps if not i can hope the seller will agree that there was a problem with the sensor but if anyone else has imput or a idea to try ill be more then thankful to try it
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements