cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Manual" HDR (minting RAW file). 6D Mii

Skip70
Enthusiast

How do you use the HDR exposure features to allow the camera to create three RAW images (exposed, under-exposed, under-exposed)?

I am aware of the cameras ability to combine images for HDR, but it generates a JPEG, which I don't want since I will want to do further post-processing in RAW.
What I want is to use the slider on the exposure bar to pick my range of exposures but have the camera create three separate RAW images in quick succession (or where I can hit the shutter myself two more times without making manual adjustments.)  I am very wary of ever touching the camera on the tripod when taking such exposures and often want all three to be in very quick succession. 

Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The short answer is don’t use the HDR functionality in the camera. It you want three RAW files, then capture three RAW files using AEB.

Are you using a tripod?  If so, then setup your exposure increments.  Use the shutter delay timer, and the entire sequence will be captured automatically. 

If not, then use a very steady hand. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The short answer is don’t use the HDR functionality in the camera. It you want three RAW files, then capture three RAW files using AEB.

Are you using a tripod?  If so, then setup your exposure increments.  Use the shutter delay timer, and the entire sequence will be captured automatically. 

If not, then use a very steady hand. 

Stephen_0-1723391928670.gif

Thanks. So, simply enoughL Use AEB to spread out the range of exposures and the camera will "know" to take the next three photos with each of those settings -- each requiring a shutter click. 

@Skip70 wrote:

Thanks. So, simply enoughL Use AEB to spread out the range of exposures and the camera will "know" to take the next three photos with each of those settings -- each requiring a shutter click. 

The camera will not “know” anything.  You will need to use the shutter delay timer and continuous drive mode.

[EDIT] Focus before you take the shot, and then disable AF.  Do the same with your exposure.  Find your exposure settings, and then dial them manually.  Use M mode.  Dial in a WB temperature, too.

IMG_0884.jpeg

Okay, now I am confused. I understand AF, WB, etc. What has me confused it it seems you are saying I need to dial in EACH setting for each photo? I thought if I spread out the range of shots on the exposure compensation/AEB bar, it would make three exposures - however I choose to make them: shatter press or remove trigger. I don't see where the shutter delay timer has any needed place if I'm using a remote trigger. And why continuous mode when I only want three exposures?
Again, isn't the simplest method to spread the range on the AEB bar and simply take three successive photos?   

Skip70,

In addition to single shot mode (1 click - 1 shot), your camera will likely also have a high-speed continuous shooting mode where it takes 12 shots or 15 shots or whatever in a second and also a low-speed continuous mode, where it will take 3 shots in relatively quick succession with one press of the shutter button. You may have to hold down the shutter button while it takes those 3 shots.

Steve Thomas

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

For what it's worth I never use the in camera HDR. I always use Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. And most of the time I hand hold because unless its a planned HDR you probably won't have a tripod with you. Also, HDR is not limited to three images I use 5 sometimes.

I have nothing against tripods as they are. I have one that cost more than most people spend on their camera. But tripods outside of the studio are a nuisance and people generally don't carry a good decent tripod around with them. Learn how to hold your camera steady and still. It's a good thing to know.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

HDR when you least expect it. This shot is not possible with a single exposure. And it is hand held.

hdr.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

HDR when you least expect it. This shot is not possible with a single exposure. And it is hand held.

hdr.jpg

No one said a tripod was mandatory.  BTW, my sample was also handheld.

Announcements