cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planning upgrading from t3i

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hey guys!

So I've had my t3i for a while and I think I'm hitting the limitations in the t3i in terms of what I'm doing now. I've had the camera for about 1-2 years (was given to me as a xmas gift) and up until now, I've done automotive photography, nature photography, as well as portrait photography. I thought that the T3i was already a good enough camera for me to suit my needs but I realized I might need more now but I'm not sure. One night, I was doing rolling shots with a few buddies of mine and noticed in post processing, that there was a ton of grain in most of the pictures if I turned up the shadows (was shooting in betwen 1/10-1/20th of a second at F8.0 at 3200ISO. What are the benefits of upgrading from a T3i or do I just need a better lens? I was thinking of going to either a T4i or a T5i but at the same time, I want to go for a full frame sensored camera but I don't know if the types of photography I'm doing right now require such an advanced camera such as the 5D MkII  or if the t4i/t5i will be good enough. Also, do the lenses for the T3i work for the 5D MKII or do I have to purchase new lenses for it? I'm guessing the lenses for the T3i are compatible with the T4i and the T5i. Thanks!  

76 REPLIES 76

"I'm unable to use it in 16 bit or 32 bit mode."

That is correct as of CS6 which I have.  I do not have CC so there may be some slight differences there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't know exactly what you are after but here is a sample of something that might be close.  It is very rough because I was just turning out a sample not a finished product.

ebcopy.jpg

Is that close?

EB

Once you get there, you can do all sorts of refinements.  There is almost no limit. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I don't know exactly what you are after but here is a sample of something that might be close.  It is very rough because I was just turning out a sample not a finished product.

ebcopy.jpg

Is that close?

I'm going for the kind of feeling you get from his picture. Notice how in mine, the overall feeling and mood you get is still sort of harsh, even though I did a warm filter through photo filters in photoshop. His is all soft throughout and somehow he still retains full color of the Ferrari but it lightly fades in the top half of the picture. It's as if he just slapped a fall season preset over his original picture or something.

Here's another example: S550 Mustang. When I look at this one, it seems like he just put a preset over the original picture and toned down the highlights of the sky with a graduated filter or something.

That effect is simple in LR.  Use the gradualed filter.

In PS, you can make any effect graduated.  Light to dark or blur to sharp.  Color can fade to another gradually.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That effect is simple in LR.  Use the gradualed filter.

In PS, you can make any effect graduated.  Light to dark or blur to sharp.  Color can fade to another gradually.

I'm guessing LR is easier to learn compared to PS? haha. I know how to use LR more than PS (and i've used PS more all my life) and I'm a very simple person so I'm guessing that that's the case haha. PS is just complicated for me at times, it's frustrating actually.

Any software that is as versitle as PS is going to be complicated.  The more a program does, the mnore difficult it will be to use.  The less it does, like LR, the less complicated by its nature.  If you did nothing except what LR can do, PS is no more difficult.

EB

ebiggs1 wrote:

Any software that is as versitle as PS is going to be complicated.  The more a program does, the mnore difficult it will be to use.  The less it does, like LR, the less complicated by its nature.  If you did nothing except what LR can do, PS is no more difficult.

Yeah i'm still slowly learning PS and Lightroom. I'm starting to mess with the temperature and tint, as well as the hue, saturation, and luminance in LR. For PS, there's a lot of things haha. From photo filters to effects, etc etc. Also, why is it that I can never capture sharp photos with the 7D Mark II? It looks sharp in the built in screen but when I view it in Lightroom and/or Photoshop, the object in 'focus' appears to be blurry. Am I using the different auto focusing systems wrong? Or am I just capturing photos at too slow of a shutter speed and my hands just aren't stable enough?

Keep at LR and PS.  Even take a course in them from the local community college.

Your 7D Mk II will take sharper pictures than you are able.  So it has to be something you are doing incorrectly.

Most likely you are not getting focus on what you think you are.  Try turning off all the focus points except the center one.  Now make sure that red square is exactly where you want the sharpest part to be.

Secondly, try to keep SS above the reciprocal of the lens.  I.E. a 50mm lens use 1/60.  A 200mm lens use 1/250.  See if you don't have the exact number go to the next higher one.  Of coures you can use even higher SS and that will help more.  When you get poorly lighted places you will need a higher ISO but that can lead to less than sharp photos, too.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements