cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

on Site Tether issue with Canon EOS 70D

redged01
Contributor

I have set up a long term time lapse project that will run for several years, with the aim of visiting the camera every couple of weeks to collect the images.  I'm using an 'onSite' Tether to power the EOS 70D, which in turn is connected to the mains power supply via a USB adaptor.

The issue is that despite the sustained power being on to the EOS 70D, over a couple of days the battery power indicator on the camera decreases, and eventually the camera shuts down.  Is there a way in which I can avoid this?  Setting in the camera?

Many in advance

redged01

28 REPLIES 28

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Which camera are you using? 

Are trying to keep the camera fully charged and powered up through the USB port?  None of the Canon DSLRs allow you to charge the camera through USB.  

I think a couple of the newest MILC bodies allow for USB charging, but it requires a special cable. And, I do not think you are able to use the camera while it it is charging.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm using an EOS 70D

The on Site Tether is a dummy battery that fits in the battery compartment, but is fed from external power source. I'm not powering the camera through USB.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@redged01 wrote:

I have set up a long term time lapse project that will run for several years, with the aim of visiting the camera every couple of weeks to collect the images.  I'm using an 'onSite' Tether to power the EOS 70D, which in turn is connected to the mains power supply via a USB adaptor.

The issue is that despite the sustained power being on to the EOS 70D, over a couple of days the battery power indicator on the camera decreases, and eventually the camera shuts down.  Is there a way in which I can avoid this?  Setting in the camera?

Many in advance

redged01

It still sounds like you are powering the camera from a USB port.  A USB port does not have sufficient output to power a DSLR.

I suggest that you use a Canon power adapter, which is powered by an AC outlet. The Canon adapter comes in two parts.  There is the substitute battery that installs inside of the battery compartment.  There is a universal AC to DC power converter, which provides power to a variety of substitute battery modules.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The on Site Tether tools is a dummy battery pack connected to a conditioning relay that lifts the voltage to suit the camera.  The relay contain an internal battery which is charged from an external source. The company claims indefinite supply to power the camera.  [Commercial link removed.  Replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

2.JPG

@redged01 wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts.

The on Site Tether tools is a dummy battery pack connected to a conditioning relay that lifts the voltage to suit the camera.  The relay contain an internal battery which is charged from an external source. The company claims indefinite supply to power the camera.

2.JPG

It sounds like it does not work as claimed.  This is a Tether Tools issue.  I doubt if it will ever work indefinitely.  You seem to have proven that to be a fact.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It still sounds like you are powering the camera from a USB port.  A USB port does not have sufficient output to power a DSLR."

I am in agreement with this. You are still at the mercy of the power output of the USB port on the computer. I think most USB ports are 5 volts and the 70D needs 7 volts.  Anyway this may give you something to think abbot and how to maybe fix your rig since I have not tried to do it.

"Setting in the camera?"

I know of no such setting in any Canon camera. None that I have or have had anyway.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi,

The Tether relay is powered directly from a 5V 3A USB charger.  In the Relay there is a battery to just an uninterrupted power supply.  From that battery there will be a boost converter to lift the voltage to 7.1V needed for the camera.  This tether connected directly to the battery terminal and is not a USB tether in the usual sense.  I do believe that it is the Tether system, and I would recommend caution using the system.  There may be a way around it by allowing the camera to go sleep mode and use a relay to trigger the shutter rather than a software signal from gphoto2.  I'll let you know.

Does the 70D have time lapse captures built into the menus.  The cameras that do have that feature are able to wake itself up to take a shot at whatever interval you set.

[EDIT] A remote shutter switch is an option, but that may depend upon the overall total time that you wish to capture images.

I also recommend using the Canon battery eliminator gear.  The battery in your current setup is running out of power.  

There i no time lapse feature on the 70D. I'll be collecting images every 10 minutes for several years. A remote shutter release, I think, will get around the problem of waking up the camera between shots so the battery will recharge.  It may be that the battery cannot charge if there is a constant drain on it.  

Announcements