cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new 90D

tinwhistle
Enthusiast

I just bought the new 90D. First few pictures I couldn't get downloaded to the computer (windows 10), anotrher batch today, but tried to download updated software onto the computer first. What a disaster. Downloaded all that I thought I'd need and use and it downloaded as a zip file. Apparently Windows 10 doesn't like Zip files. Or I don't know how to open them, anyway I somehow got a few images into the computer and the RAW(CR3) files downloade as PS files. Nothing I have will open them. Does anybody out there have any suggestions? I never had any trouble with downloading from my 70D or my Mark II. Raw in the old models was CR2. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK boys and girls. After about 3 hours (over 2 days) on the phone with Canon the service lady I was working with gave up. However, over that time frame I did learn something about the 90D and EOS Utility. The 90D and EOS Utility 2 are not compatable. The infinite wisdom of Canon decided to pair the 90D with EOS Utility 3. That little bit of juicy information has not been very well distributed. Which brings us to the next problem; the Utility 3 will not download from the Canon site. I don't know why and the tech doesn't know why. It just wouldn't do it. Now I could go into a lot of detail as to what we did to make this thing work, but I won't: I'll just tell you that she gave up and told me I'd have to use some other software (Microsoft?) to download my images. That is not acceptable to me, so I went looking. At an online web site I found the EOS Utility 3 and the plug-ins. Five minutes later I'm up and running with my old favorite downloader and my new 90D. Hmmmmmmm?

By the way, my PC works just fine.......

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greeetings,

It sounds like you are facing several challenges.

Your camera does not require any "special" software to download images. 

You have several options:

The camera can be accessed as a mass storage device directly in windows explorer (just by connecting it)

or

EOS Utility

or

Canon Image Transfer Utility

or

A card reader can be used

.CR3, file format.  While windows does not read this format natively, DPP does.  Unless you have another photo editing software you prefer, I recommend you use DPP (download) ), which is free to view and edit your downloaded photos. 

Windows supports compressed (.ZIP) files natively.  you do not need to install a 3rd party zip application, the functionality is already present.  However, there is no need to compress your images to download, open or view them on your machine.

zip.png

Note, you may need your camera's serial numbet to download some of the camera's software from the Canon Support site.  If you need more help, reply back and one of us can assist. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You may not believ it but you told it to do all that it did.  Don't do that!

It is super simple to just use the 90D as any external HD or thumb drive, etc.  Windows Explorer will let you transfer files as you wish.  It will not, never, zip them unless you tell it to.

What is a "PS" file?  The 90D does not make PS files. It makes Raw or jpg. Remember there is always the manual.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I suspect the Windows codec has not yet been updated to .CR3 file format, so if you downlaod directly to a folder and try and open the file you won't get much. W10 is probably thinking they are Photoshop files.

What software are you downloading?

If you download Canon DPP you can use it to open and view your .CR3 files.

It is here: 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"W10 is probably thinking they are Photoshop files"

Photoshop files are PSD.  I don't know what PS files are.

EB

Yes, .psd is a file suffix.

But when Windows doesn't recognize a specific file type-application link it tries to guess.

When it does it displays the icon for the application it thinks is correct.

If it thinks it might be a Photoshop file is will display Ps.

Annotation 2020-01-18 162301.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

tinwhistle
Enthusiast

@tinwhistle wrote:

I just bought the new 90D. First few pictures I couldn't get downloaded to the computer (windows 10), anotrher batch today, but tried to download updated software onto the computer first. What a disaster. Downloaded all that I thought I'd need and use and it downloaded as a zip file. Apparently Windows 10 doesn't like Zip files. Or I don't know how to open them, anyway I somehow got a few images into the computer and the RAW(CR3) files downloade as PS files. Nothing I have will open them. Does anybody out there have any suggestions? I never had any trouble with downloading from my 70D or my Mark II. Raw in the old models was CR2. 

I want to thank all who took the time to help with my "download" problem with the 90D. Nothing works, no matter what I try.I'm convinced it's a faulty camera. However, there are several Windowos updates I tried to download and they downloaded in zip files and my computer won't open them. I'll call my computer guy and see if he can help. But I still have that gut feeling that it's a faulty camera.  I'll call the store Monday and see if I can exchange the camera, if not I guess I'll have to send it in. Never had a problem with any of my other Canon cameras, bummer...

@tinwhistle wrote:

@tinwhistle wrote:

I want to thank all who took the time to help with my "download" problem with the 90D. Nothing works, no matter what I try.I'm convinced it's a faulty camera. However, there are several Windowos updates I tried to download and they downloaded in zip files and my computer won't open them. I'll call my computer guy and see if he can help. But I still have that gut feeling that it's a faulty camera.  I'll call the store Monday and see if I can exchange the camera, if not I guess I'll have to send it in. Never had a problem with any of my other Canon cameras, bummer...

If you're using Windows 10, you can treat a Zip file as though it were a folder. Just look at its contents and drag & drop the individual items as though they were files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I want to thank all who took the time to help with my "download" problem with the 90D. Nothing works, no matter what I try.I'm convinced it's a faulty camera. However, there are several Windows updates I tried to download and they downloaded in zip files and my computer won't open them. I'll call my computer guy and see if he can help. But I still have that gut feeling that it's a faulty camera.  I'll call the store Monday and see if I can exchange the camera, if not I guess I'll have to send it in. Never had a problem with any of my other Canon cameras, bummer...

As I understand it from the information above you are trying to download WINDOWS updates - I would assume that is MS to update the WIndows 10 software.  You should not be seeing Windows updates as ZIP files.

If you are using Windows 10:

1. Click on the Windows Icon on the left of the Task Bar
  2. Click on Settings (second item from the bottom, above the Power Icon
  3. Click on Updates and Security
  4. If necessary click on Check for updates.  (MS will check your software and update it to current)

If your Windows is not set to automatically update then do so, there are several security issues that were resolved in the last one that are urgent.   If you windows is older than May 9, 2019 then  you will get a massive update that rebuilds most of the code and enhances file compatibility, but not necessarily CR3 files.   If you have not done so try shooting a few JPG files and see if you can download to the computer, that will tell you if the file transfer system is functional.

If you are trying to download CANON software, then it will download Zip files to your computer.  Here is a link with instruction on how to use Windows 10 to download and open ZIP files.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-zip-and-unzip-files-windows-10

Another thing to do is to take the SD card to another, up to date computer and see if you can read the files on that (maybe your computer resource).  That should confirm if the issue is with your computer or the data on the card.  Make sure it can read other photo files.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"I'm convinced it's a faulty camera."

I am not. Read and re-read the above post. Definitely try the 90D on a different computer.  More than likely your computer is the problem.

EB
Announcements