cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipdated firmware to 1.1.0 on my R7 now Spot AF point keeps changing to single point and moving

robertjerl
Apprentice

On my R7 I updated the firmware to 1.1.0 and now my Spot AF keeps changing to single point AF and that point wonders all over the place.  How do I lock it in the center?

3 REPLIES 3

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings robertjerl,

Let's check a few things to see if we can resolve the moving focus point. One thing to check is to set the camera to One Shot instead of Servo. This AF operation is suited for still subjects. When you press the shutter button halfway, the camera will focus only once.

Let's also see if the camera has the Subject Tracking option disabled. This will prevent the camera from detecting a subject which may not be in the center of the frame. Both of these options will be listed on the first page of the purple AF tab in the camera's menu when the camera is set to the photo shooting mode.

NatalyaP

Yes, and yes.

Before the update I used the Spot AF only.  After the update it changes to single point at random and moves all around.

I have owned 6 Canon dslr bodies over the years, I presently have 4 dslr's but the R7 is my first mirrorless which I got because it is sort of an update on my 7DII (I have owned 2 of them - I do a lot of birds.)

Any help would be appreciated.  The problems are so erratic and wacky I am wondering if the update on the firmware wasn't corrupted.

Jerry Perkins 

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jerry,

At this point I suggest that you email us at eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com. There you can include an unedited image up to 10 MB in size. If the image hasn't been edited or renamed in a program other than our Digital Photo Professional, then we'll be able to read all the active settings when the image was taken. That can give us a better sense of what you're facing.

I would recommend sending a follow-up email after emailing the image as an attachment just to confirm that we received it.

Announcements