cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac doesn't recognize 6D via USB connection

jreyna
Contributor

Hello!

I am trying to connect my 6D to the Reikan FoCal software (calibration software) and i am required to connect my camera to the computer via USB. I am getting a message saying that no camera has been detected. I notice that the camera is not showing in my finder as being connected either, so i am assuming there is a problem with my camera being unabl eto communicate with my imac. 

I have installed the lastest versio of EOS utility...i instealled the one available on the drivers section of the website. 

I am runing Yosemiti 10.10.5

Any ideas on how to get the camera to be recognized via USB? 

thank you so much in advanced!! I can't get a response from teh Reikan FoCal people...and i've been having this problem since i bought the license in 2013. 

10 REPLIES 10

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Disable WiFi and the USB will work.  The camera can have either it's USB connection or it's WiFi connection enabled -- but not both at the same time.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thankyou!!! worked

jreyna
Contributor
Wifi is disabled...stilk wont work.

Next up... the USB cable.

With so many cellphones (and other devices) that use a USB cable only to "charge" the battery, there are now "USB cables" on the market that are really just charging cables (the power pins are connected but there are no "data" pins).

What USB cable are you using?  Do you have your factory-original Canon cable or a cable which is knownt to have working data pins?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jreyna
Contributor
Yes, i have two original canon usb cables. One for my t3i and another for the 6D. I have tried them both and nothing works.

Shouldn't be this hard.

Make sure the camera is powered up.  Connect it DIRECTLY to the Mac (if you own a USB hub, do not use the hub -- disconnect it and attach the camera directly.)

On the Mac, navigate to the upper-left corner and click the black apple on the menubar () and pick "About this Mac".

In the window that opens, click "System Report..."  This opens the "System Information" utility.

In the "System Information" window, pick the "USB" category in the left margin (under the "Hardware" section and probably the last option listed in that section since it's alphabetical).  

In the "USB Device Tree" on the right, do you see your camera listed?  It will likely be named "Canon Digital Camera".

For example, here is mine:

Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 4.46.19 PM.png

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I got to the point of confirming the USB port is recognizing a Canon Digital Camera, but now what??

Details:

Canon 6D with WIFI disabled, card formattted

Mac Mojave 10.14.15

Disk Utility Version 3 installed

My laptop immediately recognized my Canon Rebel T2, but when I plug in the 6D all the utility window says is "Camera not recognized"

I want to be able to tether my camera to my laptop through Lightroom, so I believe this is a necessary step. I'd prefer not to use the WIFI.

Thank you!!!!

jreyna
Contributor
Thank you, T Campbell. I will check when I get home.

My set up was, usb connected to camera and also directly connected to usb ports o the back of my iMac. I turned on the camera, which was fully charged. Still nothing. Butni will see what happens when i go to the system report.

And of course I tell you not to use a USB hub, but if you check my list you'll see my camera is connected via a USB hub.  

But honestly, I've gone through about 3 unreliable hubs before I finally found a reliable product (which that vendor no longer makes).  Consequently, I'm always suspicious that the hub may be the issue when there are connectivity problems.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements