cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon eos m50 mark ii vs nikon d5600

ceva156
Apprentice

Hey all looking for some advice, I am looking to buy a camera to take some family shots and to be used as a hobby taking pics of scenery. I have narrowed it down to 2 cameras but unsure which is best. I have never owned a DSLR or mirrorless camera before so unsure which is best. I will be buying band new. What would you advise?

canon eos m50 mark ii - £650

Nikon d5600 - £550

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

It can be challenging to make a decision about a camera purchase when you have little experience in this area.  For a start, the Nikon is a Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera: which has a pentaprism at the top through which you look and see an image bounced off a mirror that provides a direct optical image of the subject.  This method of viewing an image has been around for about half a century and is well known.  This camera is well-respected and has access to a vast array of lenses, but is larger and heavier than the EOS M50MkII.

The Canon EOS M50MkII is a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILC).  It does not have a mirror or pentaprism, and the view you see via the viewfinder is an electronic display directly from the camera sensor.  This makes the camera much less bulky.   It is newer technology and is also a lot smaller.  However, while the available lenses are much smaller, so is the range of lenses available.

So, if price weight and bulk are important, and you don't see yourself using a lot of different lenses to go from wide views to bringing in far distant objects, then the Canon EOSM50II is the way to go. The M50 has an adapter that will accept the lenses from Canon's DSLR range, but that will add a lot of bulk and weight to the camera system.

If you want to have direct access to lots of lenses, then the Nikon will be overall larger, but offer direct connection to many lenses.

Given that you may want to have the camera to hand, and not worry about weight and bulk, I would suspect that the M50 is the way to go.  In that case there are some lens options available.  Personally, I would suggest the 18-150mm lens - which is a great general purpose range from fairly wide view to moderate telephoto, allowing you to stand away from the action somewhat.  This kit is far more flexible but more expensive than the one with the 15-45mm kit, but likely more suitable for your purposes.

See Canon UK's website: HERE - you may be able to get a refurbished camera - which is as good as new and comes with a warranty from Canon if you keep an eye on Canon's refurbished website: HERE 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

It can be challenging to make a decision about a camera purchase when you have little experience in this area.  For a start, the Nikon is a Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera: which has a pentaprism at the top through which you look and see an image bounced off a mirror that provides a direct optical image of the subject.  This method of viewing an image has been around for about half a century and is well known.  This camera is well-respected and has access to a vast array of lenses, but is larger and heavier than the EOS M50MkII.

The Canon EOS M50MkII is a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILC).  It does not have a mirror or pentaprism, and the view you see via the viewfinder is an electronic display directly from the camera sensor.  This makes the camera much less bulky.   It is newer technology and is also a lot smaller.  However, while the available lenses are much smaller, so is the range of lenses available.

So, if price weight and bulk are important, and you don't see yourself using a lot of different lenses to go from wide views to bringing in far distant objects, then the Canon EOSM50II is the way to go. The M50 has an adapter that will accept the lenses from Canon's DSLR range, but that will add a lot of bulk and weight to the camera system.

If you want to have direct access to lots of lenses, then the Nikon will be overall larger, but offer direct connection to many lenses.

Given that you may want to have the camera to hand, and not worry about weight and bulk, I would suspect that the M50 is the way to go.  In that case there are some lens options available.  Personally, I would suggest the 18-150mm lens - which is a great general purpose range from fairly wide view to moderate telephoto, allowing you to stand away from the action somewhat.  This kit is far more flexible but more expensive than the one with the 15-45mm kit, but likely more suitable for your purposes.

See Canon UK's website: HERE - you may be able to get a refurbished camera - which is as good as new and comes with a warranty from Canon if you keep an eye on Canon's refurbished website: HERE 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Greetings, ceva156

I would agree with the information that Tronhard has provided you which is very helpful and very informative to help you make your decision towards your camera purchase.

Announcements