cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Date in EXIF despite correct in camera

Boyce
Contributor

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to ask this.

Have 80D not quite 2 years old.

When I turn on the camera or insert SD card the set date time appears on the screen.

It shows 01/01/2016 for the date and zeros in the time.  When I check camera settings the correct date is stored in the camera.  If I take pictures without resetting the date, even though the date is showing as correct in camera settings, the EXIF data shows the date the picture was taken as 01/01/2000.  If I reset the date when the screen appears after turning the camera on, the EXIF date on the picture is then correct. When the camera 'sleeps' it stays correct.  Only when powering off then back on or taking SD card out, then back in do I have a correct date issue.

This seems to have occurred after using the camera connect app for some remote shots everything was fine before that.

Have reset camera settings in the camera settings menu. Have even updated firmware to current version even though it was already uptodate. Had battery out. swapped SD card, discconected wifi from phone, but still having issue.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

22 REPLIES 22

When you open the SD card cover with the camera on it will switch off. Take card out,and replace, then close cover the camera powers back on.  Tried that incase on/off switch was issue.

@Boyce wrote:

When you open the SD card cover with the camera on it with switch off. Take card out,and replace, then close cover the camera powers back on.  Tried that incase on/off switch was issue.

Hah. Now that you mentioned that, I'm sure my 60D operates in the same manner. I've just always been in the habit of powering down the camera before opening either the battery or memory card doors.

Speaking of batteries, are you by any chance using a battery grip? If so, is it a Canon grip or a third-party model? If not, are you using an OE Canon battery or a third party battery?

@BurnUnit wrote:

Hah. Now that you mentioned that, I'm sure my 60D operates in the same manner. I've just always been in the habit of powering down the camera before opening either the battery or memory card doors.

Speaking of batteries, are you by any chance using a battery grip? If so, is it a Canon grip or a third-party model? If not, are you using an OE Canon battery or a third party battery?

No battery grip and only Canon brand batteries. 

Announcements