cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you buy a used camera previously owned by a news agency?

sushil87
Apprentice

Hi, a camera store in my town sells multiple used 1DX 3 that all come “from a reputable news agency” (that’s what the store clerk told me) and all have 100-200K shutter count.

I’ve bought used both a used 1DX and used 1DX 2 before, but both had a shutter count of less than 50K.

I know the 1DX 3 shutter rating is 500K and all of the cameras look very good from the outside, certainly not what I would have expected.

Is there anything to keep in mind? I’m somewhat hesitant to buy a camera that was probably not treated with as much care compared to how a hobbyist would maybe…

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The 1D X Mk III is a very rugged camera. It's unlikely to have hidden damage if the external appearance is good.  Take a few test shots to check functioning. If all looks good add on the cost of a replacement shutter and see if the price is attractive.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting post and seems like a good deal. My first question: "Who is the reputable news agency?" The description covers a lot of ground.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It all comes down to price. A well used 1 Series should reflect a well used price. The 1DX Mk (anything) can go well over 1/2 a million clicks even over a million. They are still serviceable by Canon so why not? But price is the key.

The old story about 1 Series cameras said you could beat someone to death with a 1 Series camera than take the crime scene photos with it. They are tough well built perhaps the best built cameras made.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements