cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which camera will be the best fit? - Upgrade advice from EOS 800D

KevinMap11
Apprentice

Good evening, joined the group today and wanted to know what’s the best or most affordable cannon or Sony camera body that’s good for pictures and video. I have the Cannon 800D, which I think is decent for photo but when it comes to recording video, the quality is sometimes blurry or lack coloring. Track and field is the sport I shoot the most.
Any recommendations???

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum!
It would be helpful to know a couple of things please, so we can better help you:
What video formats do you want the camera to generate?
What lenses do you currently have?
what is your maximum budget figure please!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

1. MP4

2. the lenses I have are the 70-200, 75 -300mm, 18-55mm and 50mm. I am mostly use the 70-200 whenever I am doing sport photography/Videography.

3. My maximum budget is 2K

4. I was looking into the cannon R8 but I don’t know if there’s better option out there. 

Thanks for that.  I will let you investigate for resolutions for video  yourself.  If you could stretch to $2019, I would recommend getting a Canon Refurbished EOS R6MkII.  I has IBIS with a compatible lens (a future benefit as  you are working with an EF lens), but is a stronger built camera with a selection of advanced controls and, more significantly, takes the much larger LP-E6NH battery, and also can accommodate the BG-10 battery grip to add more capacity.
I have the R6MkII and it is a brilliant camera: strongly built, lots of customization potential and excellent ergonomics.  It's a prosumer level camera that should be good for both stills and video.

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R6 Mark II Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

You would need (in either case) to get the EF-RF adapter, also available refurb:
Without control ring (on backorder) 
Shop Canon Refurbished Mount Adapter EF-EOS R | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
With control ring: could be useful for extra adjustments - worth checking out...
Shop Canon Refurbished Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R | Canon U.S

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

To add onto Trevor (Tronhard). Your current EF-S 18-55mm & EF 75-300mm lenses ARE NOT fully compatible with the R6 Mark II. The EF-S 18-55mm lens will cause the camera to operate as an APS-C camera thus reducing megapixels. The EF 75-300mm DOES NOT support Dual Pixel AF (DPAF). It uses a very slow AF motor called "Micro Motor". The AF motor is simply too slow to keep up on a modern camera. Also this lens is very well known to be very poor optically. What are the full names of the 70-200mm & 50mm lenses. If they are 3rd Party lenses Canon cannot guarantee compatibility. If they are Canon lenses what are the full names. The current EF 50mm F/1.8 STM EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II/ III USM EF 70-200mm F/4L IS II USM lenses are fully compatible.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

All the lenses I have mentioned above are all cannon lenses. 

Can you please provide the full names of each lens. All of the lenses listed have had multiple different revisions over the years. Such as the EF-S 18-55mm, EF 70-200mm, EF 50mm & EF 75-300mm. None of the EF 75-300mm lenses released are fully compatible with the EOS R series. 

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Hi Kevin:
While they are all Canon lenses, there is more to it than that.  The mount on all of the new R-series bodies is a new one, and all EF and EF-S lenses require an EF-RF adapter to work with them - although my comment about the 75-300 still stands but if you have the EF 70-200 you can just leave the 75-300 with the 800D.

However, a critical factor is what it says in the prefix to the lens focal range.  EF lenses are designed to work with Full Frame camera, and can also be used on the crop-sensor cameras, such as your 800D.
EF-S lenses were designed only to work on the crop-sensor camera.  That would mean that your EF-S 18-55 cannot fit a Full-Frame DSLR. 

Now, they will physically fit a R-series FF camera, but that comes with a major drawback.  Because they were designed to project an image only onto the much small area of the crop-sensor body, they will not use the whole sensor area of the FF camera, and that is a big difference.  For example, if you put the EF-S 18-55 on an R6, with a FF sensor of 24MP, it will record only about 9.7MP, which is a big loss of image size.  However, if you don't use it for video and that is your main purpose that might not be an issue.

So, from what I can see, the EF 70-200 will work fine via the EF-RF adapter on a FF R6 or R8 body. However, while the 75-300 is also an EF lens, it is, at best, mediocre quality and that will show on the new generation of R-series sensors.  Finally, we don't know which 50mm lens you have, but you should check what it says on the front of the lens to see if it will work or not, hopefully it will be an EF lens and will work fine on the R-series FF via the EF-RF adapter.

One other thing you should consider, is that crop-sensor bodies, like your 800D, effectively give a boost to the magnification of image that the camera captures, so that while your EF 70-200 has that number on the lens, what the combination of what the lens projects and the sensor captures is actually more like a 112-320mm lens on a FF body - this is explained by what is called Equivalence - see this article:  Equivalence.docx

If that all sounds complicated, and you want the simplest solution, you might want to consider sticking with a crop sensor body, the best of which would be an R7.  In that case will be able to use all of your lenses via the EF-RF adapter, and what you see and capture will be much like you do now, but the R camera has better video performance and the body again uses the larger battery and has In Body Stabilization, although it does not have the battery grip.

cheers, TREVOR

Apologies for not listing it but they are EF cannon lenses.

Kevin, I do realize they are all Canon lenses, so that's not the issue - it's what kind of Canon lenses, as per my detailed explanation.  They may all say EF, but at least the 18-55 will indicate EF-S and that couple of characters -S, makes a significant difference.  Canon do not make an EF 18-55, only an EF-S 18-55.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements