cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will canon fix the focus issues with the 70D?

Photogirl55
Apprentice

I was "T.H.I.S." close to buying the 70D.  I have read WAYYY too many posts about issues with the focusing on the 70D.  How is Canon handling the issue?  I would love to buy this camera, but not willing to gamble with that much money.

223 REPLIES 223

Actually I haven't tried live view. Most of my work is outdoors and I find live view a little difficult in bright light. I have only tested it under working conditions.  It may be fine for studio work, I'll check it out when I get a chance.

@ghstinshll wrote:

Ray, I haven't tested mine on a yard stick yet - but have you tried the viewfinder vs. live view shooting to see if it helps?

Live view will be better in most all cases, especially in the case where the camera / lens combo either front or back focus.   Where both are working fine, the OVF dual cross focus point will be better but Live View will be better outside center point focusing.

The 70D noisy?

Ten thousand ISO:

http://kazemisu.me.uk/images/70D_10000_ISO.jpg

A 100% crop at 6400 ISO:

http://kazemisu.me.uk/images/70D_6400_ISO.jpg

These are both as converted, with no additional NR in PP, converted with Capture One 7 Pro.

Noisy? No way.

You either did not read or do not comprehend what I said.  Please read it again, I went to extremes to say that is was obviously not every 70d, so what point did you make?

Agree with Keith. There 70D is far from noisy. Full Frame will always be cleaner but the 70D is very clean and quite usable with proper RAW processing even up through 12,800. Happy to post or link to real world samples for the doubters.

Hello everybody!
I'm mac from Romania , and saldy i have the same issue with my 70d even after calibration +19 at the Tele end of my lens (17-55 f2.8 IS canon)
I will be getting in touch with the canon service here and i hope they will fix it somehow. I will keep you updated.

Difference between LCD and VF is big!

@KeithR wrote:

"The issue with the 70D is ALL OVER the internet and Youtube. Google Canon 70d focus issues and a plethora of complaints pop up. Wayyyyy too many folks complaining to be isolated cases"

It's the same old story of a relatively small number of people making a lot of noise - the 7D went through the exact same thing on its release and for a long time thereafter, and yet the same camera is now being held up by some of the 70D complainers as a paragon of AF done right.

All I know is that my 70D is excellent - and there are more comments on the net to that effect than there are about its AF "problems"...

Same can be said of those that were affected by GM's faulty ignition switches.  Gald you're happy though Keith, that's what's improtant. 

ScottyP
Authority
I feel bad for anyone with a frustrating camera problem, whether it is a widespread design flaw for the whole product, a rare bad unit, or simply user error.
I will say I find the backlash sort of funny though. On Canon forums (not just this official one) you see the True Believers savaging anyone who thinks there could be a defect in Canon equipment/firmware/ etc.. They get so defensive it sometimes gets a little ugly.
And YET you will see the same ones claiming that there is an incurable inherent fatal flaw in third party lenses (like Sigma) and hotly denying that it could be an isolated bad unit or, gasp, user error.
Just amusing is all.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
I feel bad for anyone with a frustrating camera problem, whether it is a widespread design flaw for the whole product, a rare bad unit, or simply user error.
I will say I find the backlash sort of funny though. On Canon forums (not just this official one) you see the True Believers savaging anyone who thinks there could be a defect in Canon equipment/firmware/ etc.. They get so defensive it sometimes gets a little ugly.
And YET you will see the same ones claiming that there is an incurable inherent fatal flaw in third party lenses (like Sigma) and hotly denying that it could be an isolated bad unit or, gasp, user error.
Just amusing is all.

Oh yeah? So... how do we rate?

@ScottyP wrote:
 you see the True Believers savaging anyone who thinks there could be a defect in Canon equipment/firmware/ etc.. 

There's been no "savaging" here - although the infantile reaction to the reasonable expectation that the "victims" demonstrably rule themselves out as "The Problem" is predicatble enough.

It's not defensive to expect this, and utterly unfair to characterise it as such: it's a fundamental part of trouble-shooting, and all your post does, Scotty, is to act as provocation to both of these supposed sides: there are no sides here - everyone posting wants to get to the bottom of this. Some of us just want to see the job done properly.

And that's because it's clear beyond any doubt that there's no "focus issues with the 70D", as the title of the thread asserts.

There will certainly be some faulty individual bodies, but that's not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination: and anyone who tries to stretch the occcasional faulty camera into proof of inherent failure in design/manufacture is - well, to be kind - not very bright, and they're also ignoring history - I've seen exactly the same nonsense from the 30D onwards.

Some of us have been doing this long enough to know the difference - which fact is apparently enough in itself to provoke condemnation from some contributors, like @ghstinshll - but it's a foolish thing indeed to ignore that experience in favour of cheap shots which help nobody and which move the discussion backwards, especially given threads like this one: 

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/70D-Image-Quality-Worse-than-T3i/td-p/104094 

which makes my case for me better than I ever could myself. User error, pure and simple - as most of these "problems" will surely be. 

Like I say: you ignore experience at your peril. None of this is new.

There's nothing fanboyish in taking this view (God knows, there are plently of things to berate Canon for - I'm still waiting for a camera with same Auto ISO capabilities that I had in my Nikon D70 way back in 2005) but - once more for the avoidance of any doubt - some faulty cameras (and a lot of poorly-used ones) does not equal across-the-board "focus issues with the 70D".

Announcements