cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHITE BALANCE matching

FEJY
Apprentice

Hello,

I recently started filming with 3 Canon cameras: 70D, 80D and 90D.

I begun to wonder how is the best way to get the same white balance across all cameras.

I tested it and when I do custom white balance with a picture, the custom number value setting next to it does not change.

Is there a way I could get the number, somehow, what the camera set to while doing custom white balnce with a picture?

Then it would be easy to just set the others punching the numbers in.

Maybe someone more experienced can tell me what is the most practical and correct way to do this.

Thanks in advance,

F

7 REPLIES 7

Tim
Authority

FEJY, 

You could shoot with the custom white balance and then check the EXIF data of the photos within DPP.  This should give you the approximate kelvin value for the individual images.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello,

Sorry for the stupid question, but can I check it in the camera or should I take to a computer to check? Trying to make it a fastest workflow as possible.

You have to use a computer to see all the exif data

The fastest workflow would be to set one of the presets

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...3 Canon cameras: 70D, 80D and 90D."

I would set each camera to Auto WB.  Take some shots with each using Raw format.  Import into Lightromm or DPP4 which ever you have.  Check the WB temperature, it should be close.  This might give you a number you can punch in and be pretty close. It is easy to do WB correction in LR or DPP4 but you need to have a pretty similar gray sample.

Personally I would just forget it and do WB correction in LR as it is so simple.  At least, that is, if I am understanding your question correctly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

He is shooting video.

@kvbarkley wrote:

He is shooting video.

Ah! You're right. The word "filming" had sailed over my head (and probably Ernie's too).

But if one is that picky (and I don't at all blame the OP for being so), one should be using a video camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

He is shooting video.

Ah! You're right. The word "filming" had sailed over my head (and probably Ernie's too).

But if one is that picky (and I don't at all blame the OP for being so), one should be using a video camera.

Setting WB for video works exactly the same way as it does for setting up stills.  In fact, the best way to "calibrate" the cameras is to capture a still of a white/gray card.  

This is one reason why I always tell people the secret to being a good videographer is to first become a good photographer.  Everything works exactly the same way, except there a few additional constraints applied on how you capture images.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements