cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade recommendations from EOS Rebel T7

shantillee
Apprentice

I want to gift my husband a better camera body to replace his Rebel T7. The T7 works well for general pics and stills but not for indoor sports. He wants to get great action shots as our daughter plays indoor collegiate volleyball. I am looking at the 5D Mark IV. Advice would be appreciated!

24 REPLIES 24

I never use flash even though I own six or seven. That six or seven has taught me I don't like flash. So no flash is no problem, IMHO. Plus flash would not be allowed to shoot volleyball or any sport for that matter.

Look you guys seem to think the 90D isn't a good camera since R has come on the scene. That's not true. The 90D is still a highly capable camera. Sure it may not have some new feature that may or may not be wanted or used but IQ wise it is still in the top class. Plus the cost savings is huge. Saving money is always a good thing.

Bottom line the 90D will remain a capable camera for years to come. Even though there are R series and perhaps S series and T series and etc. Doesn't take away form how good the 90D remains. And money in your pocket can't be bad.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

[ deleted ].

Look you guys seem to think the 90D isn't a good camera since R has come on the scene. That's not true. The 90D is still a highly capable camera. [ deleted ].

Bottom line the 90D will remain a capable camera for years to come..

That conclusion would be mostly incorrect.  The 90D is a great replacement camera.  DSLR accessories have become scarce.  But, if you already have the DSLR lenses and the stuff that goes with it, then the 90D is a great choice.

The scarcity of EF lenses and other accessories lessen the viability of 90D as a good upgrade path.   Starting out new with a DSLR is a dead end.  The MILC R Series bodies have been here for several years.  R series bodies are the future and the future is now.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The question was, " I am looking at the 5D Mark IV." In that sense the 90D is a great camera. It is a far cheaper way to go than the 5D4 and will produce absolutely great photos. And at a very attractive price. The cost of a 90D would not hinder any future upgrade to an R Series substantially. And once again the product the 90D makes will not be ascertainably different than even the best R Series. It would be a pixel peepers subject.

"Starting out new with a DSLR is a dead end."  The OP is not "starting" out with a DSLR. They already have one. "The scarcity of EF lenses ..." That's nonsense. There are plenty and I suspect retailers are willing to sell as many as they can and perhaps at very attractive prices.

Even if the hubby hated the 90D most stores have a 30 day return privilege so it could be returned for an R Series. The latest greatest is not always the best or most cost effective way to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

You said: "T7 works well for general pics and stills but not for indoor sports."

What does this mean? What about indoor sports can he not do with the T7? Could it possibly be his use/technique/settings? A new, "better", fancier camera will be bad for indoor sports too, if not used right.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

shantiee,

What Tbrevor said.

Do you have a camera store near you, where your husband can actually pick up a camera and hold it in hands, or will your buying be strictly online?

You are flying blind here. You don't want to spend that kind of money only to buy him something he doesn't like or can't use.

If you do move into the R series mirrorless line, you can always buy an EOS EF-R adapter, which would let him keep his existing lenses, although I would use this opportunity to buy some better lenses.

By all means, involve him in the buying process. He will thank you for it in the end.

Steve Thomas

click here to view the gallery
Announcements