cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade recommendations from EOS Rebel T7

shantillee
Apprentice

I want to gift my husband a better camera body to replace his Rebel T7. The T7 works well for general pics and stills but not for indoor sports. He wants to get great action shots as our daughter plays indoor collegiate volleyball. I am looking at the 5D Mark IV. Advice would be appreciated!

24 REPLIES 24

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The refurb R5 body for $2199 are gone now.  That's a record for shortest time in stock. Poof gone.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shantillee
Apprentice

I am editing this to add some lens info...as some of you asked which lenses we have. I was hoping to get a new body that is compatible with his current lenses, but only if that makes sense, moving into the future. He has:

EFS 18-55mm, EF 75-300mm and the big one- Tamron SP 70-200mm...so I am more confused now than ever. I hate to render these lenses useless but more than anything, I want to finally find what will take crisp and clear volleyball  pics for him, as well as nature/family/etc... I would prefer to stay (all in) under $4,000. 

{older post} I want to gift my husband a better camera body to replace his Rebel T7. The T7 works well for general pics and stills but not for indoor sports. He wants to get great action shots as our daughter plays indoor collegiate volleyball. I am looking at the 5D Mark IV. Advice would be appreciated!

I am increasingly of the mind that a unknowledgeable non-photographer who is considering spending thousands of dollars on gear for a hobbyist or enthusiast could end up with with a case of buyer's remorse. You are going to be making a substantial purchase based on what others like and advise in the hope that the "surprise" is a good one. Has the photographer in question been hankering for a specific camera/lens combo that you could simply purchase? No? Then you are in a guessing game with several thousand dollars at stake. I would try to get a sense of what appeals to your husband and go from there. Get his take on how he feels about mirrorless and what if any model appeals to him. Best of luck. 

Given your update, I am even more convinced that this is a decision that you should leave to your husband and agree with John's comments. The 75-300 you indicate is a mediocre optic and yet that has the longest reach for shooting sports, and he can do a lot better for the use you indicated, and within the price as well as get a new body, but what is the big question.

Spending a significant amount of money, the value of which will essentially commit him to a particular platform for some time is a dangerous game unless you know both enough about the context of the gear and his actual needs, and preferences for an upgrade. 

I am strongly encouraging you that if you are are determined to commit such a significant amount of money to such an enterprise that he should be a part of the decision-making process.  Unless you have somehow investigated his desires in this area, you are flying blind by the advice of others and if you get it wrong it will be a disappointment for you both.
Make a card as a gift that looks like a certificate, telling he has a budget of (whatever) and let him decide how it will be spent. If you show involvement by going out with him for the day, you will add even more to his pleasure and you will learn a bit about his enthusiasm - that bonding is even more positive.   He will remember the gear and the experience in sharing the purchasing of it with you - that's pretty special.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

What Trevor said.  Especially the part with letting him decide.  

Some of the best gifts that I have ever given to someone has been a shopping spree.  Let them choose what they want because you were uncertain as to what to buy.

——————————————————-==

It sounds like his current gear is a Rebel T7 camera kit, with the 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses.  This is what I would describe as an “absolute beginner” camera kit.  The kit is designed to introduce you to photography without spending a lot of money.  I would not be concerned about maintaining compatibility with those lenses.  This camera kit can be sold as a complete set.  I gave mine away to younger relative in his early teens.

———————————————-

The Tamron lens is probably a keeper.  I would still recommend a MILC body over a DSLR.  The availability of lenses for the DSLR EF mount is becoming more and more limited with each passing month.  Canon has discontinued production on nearly all models compared to years past.

Except for the EOS R100, almost any Canon camera you might be will have a  different button layout,  This is because the R100 is also a bare bones, absolute beginner, entry level camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I would still recommend a MILC body over a DSLR.  The availability of lenses for the DSLR EF mount is becoming more and more limited with each passing month.  Canon has discontinued production on nearly all models compared to years past."

You have it right. When a camera purchasing decision needs to be made, now is not the time to buy into dead tech. Six or seven years ago, sure, the argument could be made to stick with DSLRs, as they were the dominant technology. Most companies now are ceasing development of the DSLR, or will be in the near future. That is a fact. The companies have been clear about that. Mirrorless is the present and the future. Her gift is meant to be a real upgrade, not a step into the graveyard of photography, no matter how nice the coffins may be therein. Listen, there are people who will sing the praises of the quill pen and parchment paper, but time has moved on and that is not the media by which normal people communicate. I would say buy mirrorless or save your money and stick with the old camera until it falls apart. 

{older post} I want to gift my husband a better camera body to replace his Rebel T7. The T7 works well for general pics and stills but not for indoor sports. He wants to get great action shots as our daughter plays indoor collegiate volleyball. I am looking at the 5D Mark IV. Advice would be appreciated! 

Indoor sports require good low light performance.  For that reason alone, I would recommend a full frame camera body like the 5D4.  But I think the day of the DSLR has passed.  I would definitely bring the R6 and R6 Mark II to his attention.

The EOS R and RP would not be my choice for sports photography.  Great for grandkids at the backyard cook out, but not for indoor sports photography.  The R8 is another possibility, but it is also an entry level camera with a limited feature set.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"EFS 18-55mm, EF 75-300mm and the big one- Tamron SP 70-200mm..."

OK, Kido, take a deep breath for a moment. With that reply the 90D makes the most sense now or sure. All his lenses will work just fine perhaps even better that they did on the Rebel T7. That is even a bigger savings but after Christmas he can decide whether he wants different lenses to add to the combo. You will have saved enough to buy some really top quality lenses if you choose to.

"...so I am more confused now than ever ..."

I agree don't get lost in all the mostly useless information on the ole inner web. Mostly all it does is confuse people even more. Sometimes the latest greatest is not always the best way to go. And remember the 90D was Canon's best effort in the D series of cameras and is still an  outstanding camera. It will be for years to come. I have no doubt he will love it and you too for getting it for him. 😁

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Are you aware that all EX series of Speedlites appear to have been discontinued?  

The R Series bodies use a new type of hot shoe.  It seem Canon has almost sold off their entire inventory of EX Speedlites.  The only new models that are available are the new EL Speeldlites.  This means one will need to purchase a third party flash for a 90D, if you wanted to use one.

Well the 430EX III-RT is the only remaining speedlite not to have an EL model replacement. Also the EL-5 is the only speedlite to feature the new multi function hot shoe. The EL-1 & EL-100 do not have the updated hot shoe. I wouldn't be surprised if newer higher end speedlites feature the new hot shoe. But lower end speedlites such as the EL-100 keep the older 5 pin hot shoe. Canon kept the 220EX in production from 1996-2009 (13 years). Before replacing it with the original 270EX in 2009. This may be the case with the EL-100.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
click here to view the gallery
Announcements