cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating my EOS R7 firmware - Windows compatibility question

LoveWeims
Enthusiast

It has been a few months since I last updated my firmware, and of course, I don't recall how to do it but there is more to this issue than just that. 

Canon just send out EOS R7 Firmware Update, Version 1.6.0 [macOS].  My camera firmware loaded is Version 1.5.0.

Is this new update only applicable to folks who have MAC operating systems?  My primary PC is Windows 11.  I DO have an Apple iPad but I have not even thought to use it for updating firmware (not even sure I can).

So...is this firmware only to be loaded on MacOS?  And exactly where does one find the instructions for getting the firmware from the pc to the camera (wireless?)  

Sorry for elementary questions...

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi again!
The firmware is specific to the camera, not the computer from which you load it.  However there is a separate software for those computer types because they compress the firmware file differently.  So, if you choose either, depending on the computer you choose to use to do the update from, once done it makes no difference to the camera.

If you download the compressed file you will see a PDF with instructions.  That said, especially with Macs, wireless is fairly notorious for being unreliable.  If you have a USB card reader in either of your computers, do the following:
Open the link to download the compressed file to a folder on your computer hard disc
Expand it out (windows) and you will see a file with a .FIR extension. 
copy that file to the root directory of your SD card
Put the SD card into your R7, turn it on and go to the wrench menu, last page, there you will find the firmware option
Select that and the camera will read the card, looking for the FIR file.  When found it will ask you if you want to load it and you say yes.
NOTE: make sure the battery is fully charged and don't touch the camera until the update has been completed.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor

Thanks as always.  OK, while I was waiting for a response, I watched a YouTube on the HOW TO's and realized I probably just didn't SEE the windows version.  I spent (wasted) time looking in the User Manual for instructions on this and wonder why Canon doesn't include this info in that document. 

My battery is at 77 percent - not 100 percent.  Is 77 percent enough? 

I plan to use a spare card for the firmware update as I am not ready to reformat the one in my camera as yet...still looking at photos 

Announcements