cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwater Photography

jenniferriess3
Apprentice

Hello! My name is Jennifer and I am a photographer up in Humboldt County. I currently have a Canon EOS 70D but am looking into getting a newer Canon camera. I am interested in underwater photography and need something with more of an ISO range. I would like some insight on which camera and what equipment would be best. I am looking between the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV or the Canon EOS 1D X Mark II. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you! 

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

Define "marine photography" please. If in any way you mean underwater photography this will get expensive fast.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I am talking about underwater photography, I know it is a very expensive route and I am ready to pay what is needed for the equipment. I am currently in the works of trying to become scuba certified.

Ok once you're certified you will need to master your buoyancy BEFORE using a DSLR rig underwater. You will need to be capable of diving well without using your hands to control your buoyancy or helping you work to maintain your position in the water. Your hands will be busy with the camera rig. It's far better to start with a P & S for a number of reasons including cost. You will also need to learn RAW processing to get the most from your photos. You should also consider joining Scubaboard & Wetpixel. Both have far more info on this than you will get here.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I had to change computers to get the album this is in. The diver has what at the time was the top of the line 5D & a good housing, spotting light & one strobe. This is what you need to be able to control while working in wave surge or a current plus control your position in the water while you set up & frame your shot. I shot this photo set specifically for those thinking you get certified & are good to go right away; and none of us are. (Shot in Cozumel Sept 2007).

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

Announcements