cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update firmware on my R5

Lieve
Apprentice

I've tried multiple times to update the firmware on my R5.  I have fully charged batteries, the dial on "P", a brandnew, freshly formatted SD card, downloaded and extracted the file from the website, but it on the top level of the card (verified the .FIR file is there), and properly ejected it from my PC.  When I load it into the camera, and try to update the firmware, I get the message "update file not found".  I tried with 2 different memory cards, always the same result.  After this, I have to remove the batteries from my camera to reset it.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong??

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is the update file on the card you have specified for playback?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Lieve
Apprentice

Hi, thank you for responding.  I'm not sure I know the answer to that.  What do I need to check for that?

@Lieve wrote:

Hi, thank you for responding.  I'm not sure I know the answer to that.  What do I need to check for that?

Page 746 of the advanced users guide will show you how to set up your cards for various recording options. I've attached a screen shot from the manual that that will give you a quick way to check to see which card is set to Play. More than likely card 1 (CF Express) is set to play. But, TBH, I don't remember what default is because I have my cards configured to "Multiple" and set to duplicate (I have Raw on both cards).

I have card one set to play and use card 2 (SD) to transfer files to my computer. Once safely on my computer, I delete and format card 1. I also use card 2 (SD) to update firmware.

Record-Play Menu-1.jpg

This is the folder option menu, but it shows you your Record/play selections.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Peter
Authority
Authority

I would try to update from the phone instead using Camera Connect.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

One, when I perform updates on camera bodies with two card slots, I remove the card from the slot that does not contain the firmware update.  I want only one card in the camera, and that card will contain the update.

Are you installing the correct update for your camera’s country of origin?  We have had posts where forum members could not install an update they had downloaded from Canon USA.  When asked, these members reported they did not purchase their cameras from the US market.  They had purchased them elsewhere.

When instructed to download the firmware update from the Canon web site for their country of origin where the camera was purchased, the installation went through smoothly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I downloaded firmware 1.7.0 for R5 from the UK, USA, Singapore and Asia web sites.  The files are bit-for-bit identical, so it seems this is not an issue for the R5, at least.  (It may well be for other cameras, like the Rebel/Kiss line.)

I'm baffled as to what the issue could be; R5 updates have always been effortless for me.  I've never bothered about what is the "playback" card or whatever.

Hi,

I bought my camera from B&H in the US, and downloaded the file from the US support site.  I also only have one card in the card slots.

Give the Canon support site a call. 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This ^^^^  What Waddizzle said.  This is my method when updating FW.  I just pop my CF card out for the 8-9 minutes a FW update on my body takes.  📸

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements