cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Photos from 5d mkii to Mac

PhotoInParadise
Contributor

I have had a T5i and a 70D and have not needed to install any Canon software to transfer my photos from the camera to my Mac with El Capitan. I just plugged in the USB from camera to Mac and turned camera on. I had the Mac Photos App set to open to handle the transfer.

I just got the 5d MK III and in reading the instructions there are some complicated instructions about going into the camera Menu setting and selecting each image to transfer, what a pain. And then it says if you dont have Canon  EOS Utility installed, the transfer wont work. I do know I can get this software to download from canon's website but dont like it. Does anybody know if I absolutely must do that or will the Photos App work to transfer the images from the camera?

I dont want to damage my new camera before by just trying and hope for it to work as I have always done things.

And what about all those complicated, hard to understand steps to take in the camera Menu, are they really necessary?  If I cant just plug in that USB cable and have the images show up in Mac Photos App (and I usually shoot Raw) like they did with the Rebel t5i and 70D, I may just return it. Who has time for all those extra steps after taking a couple hundred photos!

My Gear: 70D, 24-70mm f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 430 EX III RT Speedlight
7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Software installation is typically a one time task.  You should call 1-800-OK-CANON for assistance getting started.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Page 168 of manual. Just select "All Images".

You can configure Image Capture on your Mac to open Photos when the camera is connected. 

image.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

PhotoInParadise
Contributor

Thank you all. This is a brand new camera, for me, I know it came out in 2012. So no damaged cable and I know I can download EOS Utility from canon, I just dont want to. Anyway, I just took ONE photo, turned off camera, connected it by USB to my Mac, turned camera back on and in seconds the image popped up in the Photos App on the Mac. And without selecting the image in the camera's Menu.  So relieved!

and the image, WOW, I just snapped something straight ahead of me in a dim bedroom with only a bedsite lamp on, no flash on camera. The photo is lit as if it had lots of light surrounding it, gorgeous colors!

My Gear: 70D, 24-70mm f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 430 EX III RT Speedlight

@PhotoInParadise wrote:

and the image, WOW, I just snapped something straight ahead of me in a dim bedroom with only a bedsite lamp on, no flash on camera. The photo is lit as if it had lots of light surrounding it, gorgeous colors!

I guess I had the same experience. It took me a while to realize just how good the 5D3's low-light performance is. I kept using it in more and more challenging situations without really reaching the limit of what it could do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Has any of you changed the camera lens already? Or the original one is enough for getting great images?

@Janekong wrote:

Has any of you changed the camera lens already? Or the original one is enough for getting great images?

That depends, obviously, on what "the original one" is. There are various possibilities.

But to give you a direct answer to your first question, yes. Nobody buys a full-frame camera and settles for just one lens.  Smiley Happy

Bob

@PhotoInParadise wrote:

And what about all those complicated, hard to understand steps to take in the camera Menu, are they really necessary?  If I cant just plug in that USB cable and have the images show up in Mac Photos App (and I usually shoot Raw) like they did with the Rebel t5i and 70D, I may just return it. Who has time for all those extra steps after taking a couple hundred photos!

Who indeed? Most of us who shoot that way use a card reader. Yesterday I shot 495 pictures at an event I was covering. I wouldn't have dreamt of trying to upload those directly from my cameras. Neither, in all probability, should you. Unless you're actually controlling the camera from a tethered computer, Why would you want to transfer images the hard way?

Bob
Announcements