cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i Resets to AWB

commanderj
Apprentice

Hi.  I'm just looking for other people who have this issue.  On my refurbished T4i, which I've just begun using, whenever I open the SD card compartment, the white balance resets to the dreaded AWB setting.  It's like clockwork.  A Canon rep told me that they could not reproduce this result on their end and suggest I send it in for service.  But this just doesn't FEEL like a service issue to me.

Does anyone else have this issue?  I've tried different cards.  Same result.  Jumps right back to AWB and I need to set it back to whatever I had.  It can really screw up a shoot if I don't remember to constantly check my white balance setting.

Is this happening to you?  Is there a fix?  Please let me know.  Thanks!

- Dan

P.S.  Firmware is 1.0.4.

14 REPLIES 14

hsbn
Whiz
If it still has warranty, send it in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

+1 Smiley Wink "If it still has warranty, send it in."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... the white balance resets to the dreaded AWB setting."

"Dreaded" ?  Care to elaborate?  AWB has it's uses, don't it?  Smiley Frustrated

EB

He may shoot JPG or replicate artwork, then AWB sometimes doesn't cut it. But for those situation, even preset one doesn't work from time to time either 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Sounds like a fault, short, or whatever you call it... +1 send it in.

I say dreaded because "auto" anything tends to produce inconsistent images when filming anything cinematic (i.e. changes in color or ISO), making it harder to cut together later.  Futhermore, AWB is driven pretty much insane by green screen shoots.

- Dan

"... when filming anything cinematic ..."

Ah, that explains it.  I never shoot video as I am a stills photographer.  In stills auto anything, or everything, has it's place.

Just like any other setting.  Even the "P" for 'Professional' has it's place and usefulness. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... when filming anything cinematic ..."

Ah, that explains it.  I never shoot video as I am a stills photographer.  In stills auto anything, or everything, has it's place.

Just like any other setting.  Even the "P" for 'Professional' has it's place and usefulness. Smiley Happy

Is that what "P" stands for these days? Smiley Happy The first time I encountered the setting was back around the turn of the century when I used to borrow our department's Olympus to take pictures of my first grandchild. I was told that the "P" stood for "Program".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I was told that the "P" stood for "Program"."

Well maybe!  I do think some people mistakening refer to it as Program but in reality it is for Professional.  And I am sticking with that.  Smiley LOL

EB
Announcements